12v: will a short section of 16 gauge cause problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYer101

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm working on a small 12v project: 90 watt solar panel.

Most of the wire from the panel is 10-12 gauge. However, I might need to use a short section of 16 gauge (maybe 1-2 feet at most) so I can fit the wire through a small hole. Do you think that will that cause a noticeable loss of current or voltage?

The entire run is about 30 feet. Again, it's a 12v battery (with charge controller), the panel is a 90 watt that puts out up to 20ish volts and maybe 6 amps.

Thank you!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It will only be noticeable if you measure it.

Should work fine.

DIYer101

Reaction score
All good to know, thank you.

The other thing I forgot to ask about is safety - is the thing going to get hot and burn? Based on Reach4's comment and the chart, it looks like the answer is "probably not."

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Power = current * voltage...a 0.1v drop *6A is 0.6W across the smaller section of wire. I doubt you'd notice, but yes, it will be warmer than the rest of the wire.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
All good to know, thank you.

The other thing I forgot to ask about is safety - is the thing going to get hot and burn? Based on Reach4's comment and the chart, it looks like the answer is "probably not."

You should have a Fuse, Rated lower than the wire can carry, and close to what your Solar cell can really put out + 50% Max.

10 Amp FB would be good.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks