Installing Glass Tile over Dimensional Lumber

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
It's only one block out of the eight.

The very first one I installed. Can I fix it with Kerdi Board or Kerdi Fix? lol

I doubt it is the heat since the LED's are installed on a 6" Heat sink and the LED is only 3 lights.

I need to go back and find the first few pictures - I think the first LED was an old light that had been around the shop for a while.

The light seems to be trying to do something. It appears to have Red Green Blue. But it appears to be cycling through the colours a hair slower and has no where near the output.

I'm going to push forward and run a spare set of wire so I can fix it down the road.

On one project I had a LED light go wacky and I just left it. Two weeks later it self corrected. I'm hoping it is a little moisture cause some kind of voltage transfer across the solder connections.

I'll give it a month and then make the change later.

Nothing a Scotch and a Angle Grinder and Diamond Blade can't get too.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The glass blocks are wavy. I can not apply a film.

I've seen Glass etching creams.

I was looking for a drill bit yesterday in my office and spotted the Slip Tex anti slope tile prep. I wonder if that stuff could etch the glass. It etches tile.....

If only there was a way to know! lol

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
After an hour hunt I found the glass etching cream at Micheal's craft store. Talk about a total crap product. Worked like shit.

Went out and purchased a spray on film that gives the blocks a frosted look. Lucky for me it evened out the uneven effect the cream had on the glass blocks.

Now we have some privacy and can get back to setting these glass tiles over the 2"x6", plywood and 2"x4" wood studs.

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I am surprised you don't want to fix the LED problem before you go on installing the glass tiles .

When you are talking about some privacy ......... is it that bad with the regular glass blocks ? I like the looks they bring , but more with the LED on . Maybe you don't want to illuminate them -- frosted option -- , is that right ?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Time Roberto. I can fix the lights later. For now I need to bang out this room. I have two Japanese Exchange Students coming to stay with us.

The home stay owner inspected the room and thought some girls might feel nervous having glass blocks in the wall. You can see though them if you stick your face to the glass.

I suggested frosting the glass for privacy and the guy said that would be fine. Or a curtain.

15-0200C.jpg

This product (Armour Etch) I bought at Michael's was total crap. It says new and improved on the label - I can only wonder how crappy the original version was since this new and improve version sucked.

I went to Home Depot and bought a spray can of glass frosting.

0002006619038_500X500.jpg

Four light coats and the blocks look great. You can not see through anymore and the blocks are even brighter I think with the frosting. I think they are reflecting more light inside...

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
John , thumbs up :)

Talk about sharing experiences ........... who can accuse us of not doing it ? You are definitely more involved in the community than I am :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks Roberto.

Sharing of hands on info is the only true way of increasing your learning speed. The glass etching creed said to leave n for 60 seconds. Then rinse with water.

Might as well place tooth paste over the glass blocks.

I found after twenty minutes it did some etching. I know this because I firs tested both ways on a scrap glass block.

I suspect that there is a partial abrasive chemical in the cream. But it's not fully mixed with the filler. If I was to try this product again I would dilute the mix with water 5% and really stir it well. I shook the bottle for a minute and stirred it with a bamboo skewer. But the effects where streaky at best.

After twenty minutes it maybe etched 4% of the surface area. My wife is pissed I spent $22.00 on this and is going to try and get some money back.

On the label it says not for large areas. I guess 7 1/4" x 7 1/4" is a large area. Must be an installer error...

I never wore gloves. I even got the cream on my hands. I could barely feel any burning on my fingers. I think this just a cheap low end cream. What a price jack as well. Michael's was selling glass blocks for $20.00....

The best part of the shopping trip was finding the cool letters. Snapped a pictures of my initials for a new Avatar....

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I would've asked if an acid etching could work ....... but the glass blocks are installed . Not something you want to do in your situation .

Probably CRLaurence has something -- for sure -- for the glass etching .

How the rust-oleum product works ? Is it actually etching the glass ....... or is forming a frosted film on top , with the option of removing it after ?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Not sure if it's removable. You would not want to after the butcher job the cream did.

It is surface film - a little bumpy. Maybe it just picked up the drywall dust in the air! lol

My kids think it looks great.

I learned a huge lesson.

Win Win.

More important the build is still going forward. I took a bunch of process pictures. I'll share those when I have time.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If you want to frost glass, You can use somthing like Black Dimond, used for sand blasting.

You can blast it or do it by hand.

I would make sure my LEDs were operating below Max Voltage, per each.

A voltage regulator can pevent Popping LEDs. For glass like that, a LED that has a defused lens may be best.

Have Fun. Looks like you are.

Can I get a Relay please. John may be missing out. lol

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
John did you read the label !!!!! did you call their tech support, they may offer a class on how to use their crap product.?? maybe jim can help us understand what Really went wrong. Surely you guaged your PSI and RPM's as you rubbed the cream in. LOL

I like the casing detail big bold simple. But you gotta get that bottom LED squared away!!!!

cool stuff. I dig it.

DonL

Reaction score
John did you read the label !!!!! did you call their tech support, they may offer a class on how to use their crap product.?? maybe jim can help us understand what Really went wrong. Surely you guaged your PSI and RPM's as you rubbed the cream in. LOL

I like the casing detail big bold simple. But you gotta get that bottom LED squared away!!!!

cool stuff. I dig it.

lol.

That was good.

LMAO

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The acid concentration in the consumer products is pretty weak, and there are some types of glass where it won't work (borosilicate glass is one). I've used the frosted glass paint on my garage door windows...it works, and just like any paint, it takes a little skill to get a nice even coat. And, the glass block may have a coating on it from the factory that could have prevented the etching material from actually getting into contact with the glass for proper action.

Good luck with your glass tile over the dimensional lumber...

DonL

Reaction score
Jim,

JW will not see your post. unless he clicked on my provided link, to unblock us.

The stuff you recommend is BS for the job JW is working on.

Black Diamond is your friend for frosting your own glass.

Have Fun Everyone.

73, DE DonL

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I would have used some kerdi band and 255 multimax and tied those blocks to my skis and gone down a Double Black diamond in whistler?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Jim,

JW will not see your post. unless he clicked on my provided link, to unblock us.
Whether he reads it or not, it's his loss. There are acids that could frost that glass, I'm just not sure it would be possible or easy to do it with them already in place, or even if they can easily be purchased. Nasty stuff.

DonL

Reaction score
Don you may stir up the pot.........but you certainly understand good humor, so theres that!!!!

I like to help when I can.

I have a Sand Blaster and Black Diamond that would do the job for frosting.

I also have Defused lens Leds. His design looks like shit. (I hope he still has me blocked) lol. The truth can hurt sometimes.

I need to make a sample for John, So he gets it right, before he installs it for a good paying customer.

What do you think ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks