New shower difficulty finding good company!

Users who are viewing this thread

boubou

Reaction score
Looking to get the old el cheapo one piece corner unit changed to something like 60X36 or 42 or even custom. 1 plumber is afraid of the tile work on the floor, keeps trying to fit a base that will fit into the space up to the groutline (why can't he cut the tile?), and the other is unsure he can move the plumbing. Been going back and forth with these guys for like a month!
Both these guys did the original quotes with the plumbing on the exterior wall which I do not want.
The space is 63" from baseboard to tub and up to 44" deep (bigger but that will do)
Really?
Thinking about going to a 3rd plumber guy. These two have really good reputations too!
first two pictures are existing set up and following pics are what we'd like to see.
We want cultured marble on walls for ease of cleaning and no maintenance but if plumbing cannot be moved then what?
Any suggestions????
Thanks
Brigitte

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 295
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 289
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 300
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 299

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Looking to get the old el cheapo one piece corner unit changed to something like 60X36 or 42 or even custom. 1 plumber is afraid of the tile work on the floor, keeps trying to fit a base that will fit into the space up to the groutline (why can't he cut the tile?), and the other is unsure he can move the plumbing. Been going back and forth with these guys for like a month!
Both these guys did the original quotes with the plumbing on the exterior wall which I do not want.
The space is 63" from baseboard to tub and up to 44" deep (bigger but that will do)
Really?
Thinking about going to a 3rd plumber guy. These two have really good reputations too!
first two pictures are existing set up and following pics are what we'd like to see.
We want cultured marble on walls for ease of cleaning and no maintenance but if plumbing cannot be moved then what?
Any suggestions????
Thanks
Brigitte

Brigitte,

Where do you live? You cant find the right company if you yourself arent educated about the scope of the project. ( and you may not get up to speed for some time, its confusing if your new to all this)

A great salesman may suck at building, the worst salesman may be the best. How would you know?.

Start by calling your local Premier tile vendors and ask for referrals.

You can contact Laticrete and ask who their vendors are in your area And call them for an approved laticrete installer specific to the demands of your project. Custom shower.

Not all tile installers build custom showers, ask how many showers they have built recently and can you go look at some and meet their clients???

I think you just arent talking to the right contrActors yet. Your project , while demanding a certain skillset is not abnormal or that difficult for a pro who builds custom showers.

Do not source your tile expert from craigslist Home depot etc.......is the best advice i can give you.

Good luck

boubou

Reaction score
in Kingston Ontario
Got one referal from a bathroom supplier, says the guy is really good but also really expensive lol
the other one, I found myself, been in the business for a long time but talking to salesman only. I am a bit Leary about his idea of building partly on top of tiled floor so not to have to cut tile.... it makes me want to run in the other direction when they start throwing offhanded ideas like this one.
On the other hand, the other good contractor that was referred to me never mentioned the fact that the existing plumbing is on an exterior wall and planed the new shower with it there. I corrected him, requesting an interior wall for the water supply lines. He's not sure if it can be done??? what?? second story, joist, etc...
Thanks for the tip, I will check the tiles places and continue in my search.
By the way, I got a crazy stupid quote to paint a 10X11 bathroom, 10X5 bathroom and 3 ceilings, paint included.... the gal wanted $1700.00 !!!!! she must have made a typo of an extra zero! but not! oh well, guess she's not getting the job. what a joke.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Price is not everything. What is included in said price? i have seen the difference in a serious painter and a handyman sometimes painter.....knock downs, dusting, prepping proper, fixing drywall blemishes, cut ins, quality materials brushs etc.

$1700 doesnt seem rediculous? What was all included? You must at some point look to quality, crafstmenship, follow thru, materials, skillset.

Keep chasing price and you will find it in the end result.?

Why dont you offer to hire Roberto and pay his travel fees? Go straight to a pro and get the results.

Resale value shall be factored in as well.

boubou

Reaction score
I agree about paying for quality craftmanship but this is ridiculous. 1700$ for 2 bathroom paints where most other painters will charge $500.00 tops!!!
This gal was clearly hoping to cash it in quickly.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I agree about paying for quality craftmanship but this is ridiculous. 1700$ for 2 bathroom paints where most other painters will charge $500.00 tops!!!
This gal was clearly hoping to cash it in quickly.

Brigitte.

$500 in the professional trades is equivalent to 1-2 days of skilled labor only. No materials and no fuel has been though of yet.(nor has insurance ,licensing, officing etc.)

Lets get real about how long it takes to properly finish this small part of your project. How many return trips to your property, set up Clean up navigating 2nd floor w/tools, parking, association concerns etc.

Im sorry to sound harsh , but lets get straight to it! Have you had any quality work done to your home before?

I wish you well in your project and want to help. The first step is educating on current realistic pricing.? No?

Theres always the gamble of Craigslist type sites for cheap labor.

A gallon of decent Primer alone is how much?

You have a vision for your project and looks to be a nice property. Do not build what you cant afford, do not let $ be the constant denominator. ?

We have a good post here on terry's site about current budget tile shower pricing... Have you read it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
We have a good post here on terry's site about current budget tile shower pricing... Have you read it?
FWIW, that 'budget' bathroom used lots of premium products and features you may like, but are not a requirement for a solid result, turned out great, but was not a simple undertaking. There are lots of ways on that project, if you wanted to, to get a functional result that would have cost a lot less.

A skilled technician won't work for minimum wage! Often, it's a big multiple of that, and, if they're actually good, well worth it! Sorting the wheat from the chaff is sometimes tough, but first, you need to decide what it is you really want, then figure out the best materials to complete it, and who can do it. A good tech can help guide you, but sometimes, most of what you get is their idea of what is best for you...only you can decide what you want, and what you're willing to pay for it. To get a reliable result, you may not get all of the features you prefer.

boubou

Reaction score
We are using a reputable plumbing shop and good skilled technicians. We are not skimping on labour. Just not willing to pay 1700$ for painting 2 bathrooms... This is one thing I can do

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
....By the way, I got a crazy stupid quote to paint a 10X11 bathroom, 10X5 bathroom and 3 ceilings, paint included.... the gal wanted $1700.00 !!!!! she must have made a typo of an extra zero! but not! oh well, guess she's not getting the job. what a joke.

Two rooms

Three ceilings

Including paint.

What is wrong with $1,700.00 ? Why do you call that a joke?

Many painters charge $350-$500 per room for renovations. Your quote is right in line.

Maybe if you wanted no drywall touch ups. One cut coat. And one top coat you might save some money. But you seriously think someone would do it for $170.00

That is a joke.

Ceiling paint.

Kitchen and bath paint.

Trim paint.

All the cutting.

A skilled painter can easily take four days to do this job perfectly.

$45.00 x 32 = $1,472.00
$180.00 Paint
$20.00 Dust protection
$217.36 Tax

$1,889.36

boubou

Reaction score
Not to put painters down, but there is a skill I can easily mimmick. I will pay good money for plumbers, electricians and all the other trades but painting? Not until I need the whole house done. I can do 2 rooms.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I dont doubt you can Boubou, I dont diubt you can.......make sure to knock down gloss paints and tack before and after each knockdown/coat.

I may suggest zinser primers and purdy cut brushs......But i dont paint.

Keep us up to date on your shower plz. And the price war......

-redshoe

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I make good company in the shower. lol

Sorry, I had to.

I like your thread title.

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks