Outside hydrant problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Flattop517

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Brand new to the site to get a question answered. I have two Mansfield 400 series anti-siphon faucets on my 7 year home. Both have the same problem now. They will not turn off. Both knobs spin freely. Can these units be rebuilt or do I need to replace the entire unit? FYI, I have a sulfur well.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not a pro, so take this for what is worth. I am not familiar with that brand of faucet, but I think they all work somewhat the same. The actual shut off occurs inside the house where the unit attaches to the supply line. The most common problem folks have is caused by leaving the hose attached in the winter which prevents the faucet from draining so the pipe leading to the supply source splits. Then in the spring when the faucet is turned on, there is a flood under the house. Not what you are describing obviously. As to repair, I would first want to know why two faucets failed at the same time. Second, you would almost certainly have to remove them to repair them, then replace them. Yes, you might save a few dollars, but I would make more sense to me to get new units and install them...same labor to remove and replace. If you have never worked on these, you should know that it requires two wrenches to remove and replace them. One wrench to turn and one to apply counter pressure to avoid twisting the supply line.

Flattop517

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. Your right in saying they all pretty much work the same. The rear hose actually went last year. So I had to turn that line off at the shut off. This summer the front faucet went out. I'm guessing its because of the sulphur water. But the reason I ask if they can be repaired instead of replaced is because before the rear faucet went out last summer I finished my basement and did not leave a door to that location when I put up the drywall ceiling. (Lots of cussing occurred). If I can't repair it from the outside, I'd have to rip out the ceiling and that's not gonna happen.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If it's only the handle spinning then it should be easy to find replacements since you have the part numbers. I had homes in Upstate NY and IL and I had them. These are used in most homes at least since the 1980's if your in snow country. I'm not sure about HD or Lowes but the good old hardware stores and or lumber yards with a hardware section will usually have parts to repairs these. I remember seeing them all the time in the stores. If not buy a new one and use it for parts.

If you look at the installation picture, the part the handle screws to is brass, a few inches down there is a fitting and it is then a copper shaft, or at least plated copper. Maybe this fitting is threaded and it loosened up.

They are quit easy to disassemble. Turn off the main water supply. Remove the screw holding the handle and remove the handle. Inspect the handle if it is cracked or broken. Then remove ID # 6, the packing nut. Notice it reads left hand thread. Loosen and remove the packing nut by turning it clockwise. Then turn the stem as if you're opening it, (may need to put the handle back on the stem or use a pair of pliers, it should come out. Compare it to the picture in the installation pictures. Any parts are missing is where it broke.

Find a hardware store and a good man will know of these and will know how to fix them. If the body of the unit is good and not cracked open as Gary Swart described then it can be repaired without removing it.

If you do have to remove the unit it is not the end of the earth. If you know about where it is in the ceiling cut the opening no larger then an access panel that can be bought. (here is an example, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-6-in-x-9-in-ABS-Wall-Access-Panel-34055/100149906) after the repair just install an access panel and your drywall repairs may be minimal.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks