Installing Glass Tile over Dimensional Lumber

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I do not like the look of the glass block wall from the bedroom side now that the two doors are in. I want to add in some glass tile on the left of the glass blocks. I have four 12"x12" sheets of beautiful glass tile. I'm going to install 8 8"x8" squares to mimic the glass blocks. Three High and Five Low.

What should I use to tile over the 2"x6" Fir Stud installed on it's face, the end cut of plywood, 1/2" drywall edge and two more 2"x4" edges. The plywood and drywall edge are a good 3/4"-1" shy of the face.

Two of the wall studs have some Hydro Ban coating.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Typically new dimensional lumber will shrink and twist. The lumber in that wall pictures above is old stock that I had in my wife's garage. That and I screwed the the wall studs and plywood well !!!

2X3_000017_4.jpg

Dimensional Lumber

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Dimensional sawn lumber, even when nicely acclimated to the house still moves too much between seasons, especially in an area where it gets quite damp in the summer (and winters aren't too dry, either!). You need something more stable. Drywall, even 1/4" stuff since it doesn't have to span any gaps there, or WediBoard, or KerdiBoard would all be sufficient as a stable tile backer. Most glass manufacturers wouldn't approve installation over plywood, but a modified meeting the new A118.15 spec might work. Nobody is going to allow use over sawn lumber, though without something in between designed for it.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you've already considered and rejected to be asking here.

I would think some sort of adhesive like Bostik's Best (for flooring), or a similar product, might work by adhering your choice of concrete board to your framing and then tiling. It would uncouple the wood and allow for movement. I've only used it on flooring but it is very tenacious and I can't imagine it failing adheasivewise. If the concrete board is touching the floor it won't have to support much weight.

http://www.bostik-us.com/market-products/flooring/hardwood

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I think you can use at least the Green Skin before the glass tile , John .

That's a really nice -- Innovative -- use of the LED's and the glass locks . Well done !!!

I don't see the mosaic glass next to the glass blocks -- competing features -- and I would've just use the glass blocks centered in between the doors . Just my opinion. :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks Roberto. The greenskin is something so crappy I use it as a bond breaker material.

I did think of the competing features but feel once grouted they will look like one piece.

Did you see my account was hacked. Someone who loves Jim and is good with computers changed my signature.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
[QUOTE="My Account was hacked last night and my signature changed.
Sorry but I have no time to re read thousands of posts.
Not sure how this could have happened.
[/QUOTE]

LOL. Thank God... I hope your ranks on the engines does not go down.

You are the Best John.

DonL

Reaction score
Thanks Roberto. The greenskin is something so crappy I use it as a bond breaker material.

I did think of the competing features but feel once grouted they will look like one piece.

Did you see my account was hacked. Someone who loves Jim and is good with computers changed my signature.

By the way I do not Love Jim.

I just see no reason for you to Bash him.

You are to good for that. Or are You ?

He knows some shit and you do also, But no need to bash anyone on every post.

Just saying.

If I really want to BASH, I get on my good computer.

Have Fun.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com

I noticed your signature is changed ........ it wasn't you ? Maybe someone with superior powers did it .

You are really getting an interesting attention from DonL .......... not really sure where is going with it ...... :confused:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I know of no company that approves of their adhesive products applied directly over dimensional lumber to hold tile, especially glass. Good luck. Lots of things MIGHT work, but glass block isn't the greatest insulator, and neither is solid wood, so you could have some significant temperature gradients putting a lot of stress on the glass tile. SOme sort of decoupling is a really good idea.

DonL

Reaction score
I noticed your signature is changed ........ it wasn't you ? Maybe someone with superior powers did it .

You are really getting an interesting attention from DonL .......... not really sure where is going with it ...... :confused:

John does some really nice work. Some of the Very best.

I was just trying to help him out as a Friend.

I would want help also, because I am a mess at times Too.

Have Fun.

DonL

Reaction score
John,

This is for you after you unblock me. lol

The first thing I would do is to find another Forum if you need to start blocking users.

That may be just me. Not so sure. I do know how to move on. Does it take a X wife to prove it ?

Your Ranks are great thanks to Terry Love and his web site. You are one of the best for what you do.

No need to put another Pro down, on any site Or your ranks may fall also.

If You do need to attack me, I prefer to meet you in person. Computer Screens are easy to hide behind. Please point yours forward so I can get that camera feed. lol

Have Fun Everyone.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Maybe today I'll set them Roberto. One of my glass blocks LED's went out....

angry-kids1.jpg

#$^*(*& !!!

I asked my kids and wife to leave the lights running - not to turn them off for the first month. I went down the other day and the lights where off. Not sure if it's moisture from the curing glass block mortar or a poor job on my point waterproofing the lights. I rushed this detail and tried a new approach with a waterproofing seaming tape....

Going to leave it since it will take too much time to change.

Had the Home Stay dude over to inspect the room and he asked me to place a curtain over the blocks. This will look like shit so I asked if I could frost the glass blocks instead. He said OK.

Have you used any glass frosting creams or lotions before? Any recommendations?

Last edited:

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Are you frosting the edges, faces, or both?

Are you sure water caused the LEDs to fail, and not heat? How did you waterproof the LEDs? Send them to me, and I'll do them for you. You can copy what I send back. I've done a lot of underwater lighting features.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I've used an acid paste to etch VIN info onto a vehicle's windows and it does its thing in minutes. I question how even it would be on a larger surface area outside of a controlled environment. Have access to a sandblaster? Might be easier to control, but certainly would make a mess!

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Hey John , that -- lights stop working -- must be ;) disappointing ........ Maybe is just the power off ........ Someone tried to trick you -- the breaker in the panel --;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks