Please Review DWV Diagram

Users who are viewing this thread

KBseattle

Reaction score
Please review the attached diagram for drain/vent system in new detached garage + apartment above. Any corrections or recommendations are much appreciated. The section lined with red was installed and inspected prior to pouring the foundation. Thanks in advance for the help.
Plumbing Diagram.png

Last edited:

KBseattle

Reaction score
Sorry, the smaller text in the diagram isn't as clear as I'd hoped... The section you call out is a horizontal 5ft run of 2" pipe to connect the kitchen sink and shower to the toilet stack. My understanding was to not bore holes exceeding 40% of lumber width in a support wall. Is there a solution for 2" pipe through 4 successive 2x6's or is it a non-issue? Unfortunately, there is not another rout to the stack that I can identify.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can't even put one 2" pipe through a 2x6. The rule is 1/3rd of the framing member and in the center. You need a 2-5/8" hole for 2" PVC which is half the width of a 2x6

KBseattle

Reaction score
You can't even put one 2" pipe through a 2x6. The rule is 1/3rd of the framing member and in the center. You need a 2-5/8" hole for 2" PVC which is half the width of a 2x6

Thanks for the reply. At least in Seattle, I believe that holes in joists are limited to 1/3 but exterior or load bearing wall framing allows up to 40%. The following are 3 possible solutions that aren't ideal but I believe might be acceptable.

1. Seattle code notes an exception to the 40% rule if 'approved' stud shoes are used. Bore the necessary hole for 2" ABS and then use these, Link?
2. Transition to 2" copper for this section, joining the ABS to Copper with a banded coupling as described in this thread, Link. Sample pic attached.
3. Fir out wall to accommodate running the drain outside of framing. This section is in a stair well, this would be my least desirable solution.

Seems the stud shoes would be a lot easier (and less expensive) than copper. Appreciate any recommendations or other thoughts to be considered before moving forward.

Attachments

• Kitchen Sink to Stack.png
    Kitchen Sink to Stack.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 546
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks