Another water softener sizing question

Users who are viewing this thread

UMGRAD1

Reaction score
have been reading all the old softener posts here and they've been a huge help to me.
However, I want to make sure that I am getting things straight and I am asking for some advice.
My water tests are as follows:

Be ND
Na 6857 ppb
Mg 27510 ppb
Al ND
K 1346 ppb
Ca 86600 ppb
V ND
Cr ND
Mn 67 ppb
Fe 633 ppb
Co ND
Ni 15 ppb
Cu 3 ppb
Zn 9 ppb
As 2 ppb
Se ND
Mo 6 ppb
Ag ND
Cd ND
Sb ND
Ba 185 ppb
Tl ND
Pb ND
Fluoride 100 ppb
Chloride 24,000 ppb
Nitrite < 50 ppb
Nitrate < 50 ppb
Sulfate 42,000 ppb

I calculated a total compensated hardness of 22 GPG.

I currently have a 3 member household and will have 4 soon so I am planning for the future as well. I have a three bath house and I am not sure how much water we each use but I would think that about 65 GPM is plenty. In sizing for a softener, I obviously I want to optimize both capacity and salt usage while maintaining the regeneration to about once a week.

I checked my flow off of the spigot right off of the well pressure tank (3/4" spigot reduced from the 1 inch line coming into my house) and I calculated 12 GPM. All tubs/showers have single handle mixing valves so I didn't bother measuring from there as a flow from there will likely be 2 to 3 GPM (maybe 5 at most). So I used the 12 GPM as my SFR.

For 4 people at 65 gallons a day, I calc'd out that I need about 5763 daily grains of capacity and 46105 total grans of capacity assuming a one day reserve. Overall, based on my calcs it seems that I need a 2.5 cu ft softener to meet my needs while setting it at a salt dose of 50,000 to only have it regenerate once every 7 to 8 days and maintaining the 6 lbs/cft of salt rule.

Also, it appears that the 2.5 cu ft softener would also meet my SFR requirements as well.
Can someone let me know if these assumptions are reasonable? Although I do not have teenagers yet, I will in a few years and want to get this stuff right the first time.

Also, I was thinking of a Fleck product for my softener. But I am not sure if the inlet into the softener will be a 3/4in dia. or 1 in. dia. I am assuming that it is 3/4 but I will have to check.

Any redirect would be appreciated.

Thanks for everyone's help

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
For your application a 2.5 Cu. Ft. system would be ideal. The 7000 is a 1-1/4" valve, but the plumbing connectors can be ordered to meet your exact plumbing size. The adapters are available in both sweat and threaded connection.

UMGRAD1

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Do you think that the iron content is a problem and should I consider going with a smaller unit and regenerate more often?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks