Hot-tub install

Users who are viewing this thread

bobbyjupiter

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently bought a hot tub used and have found that there is a lot of other costs associated. But heres my questions ...if someone might help me out. On my electrical supplies and routing ...here's what I have. My main meter panel was recently upgraded to 200 amps so I think Im good there (although I will test the amps being drawn). I have a 60 amp breaker to install in the main. I have the wire cable that has the black,red,white and ground in it...it is 6-3 copper.
They gave me flex pvc @3/4" as the needed conduit. This seems like its gonna be tough to pull.
My wire will exit the main panel and curve back into the foundation wall and under the house in a crawlspace...it will be a span of about 40' and then exit the foundation and travel on a wood deck frame for about 7' then into the gfci box...back out of this box and about 8' to the tub base entry..
Can the wire be pulled thru this flex pvc @3/4 or should I take it back and get bigger...the crawlspace is a pain ...thats why i paid more for the flex to spend less time under there.
Also do I need to use the rigid pvc for the part from the tub to the gfci?...Any help would be appreciated...I cannot afford an electrician and have done electrical things myself for years...just looking for some pointers and/or help.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
This tub will require an insulated equipment grounding conductor which your cable does not have

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
You CAN use the NM cable for the indoor portion of the wiring, but not for any part of the outdoor portion.

From the tone of your post my ONLY advice to you is to hire a professional who knows what they are doing. From your post it is clear that you do not, and this is no place to feel your way through electrical work. There are too many important codes involved and a hot tub is no place to make a mistake.

You mention the added costs. This is a downside of many dealers. They will upsell you as far as they can to make as much $$$ on the tub and accessories as they can, while at the same time downplaying the significance (and real world cost) of have the tub wired properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks