Adding utility sink to laundry room

Users who are viewing this thread

brownmc

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Matt. First time caller... I have seen similar questions to mine posed but not exact. This is on a ranch home built in 2006 with open access to unfinished basement. I currently have top load washer, I am getting a stackable washer/ dryer. I would like to put a utility sink where the top load washer currently is. I was planning on adding a 2'' sanitary tee to the stand pipe (which is 2''), dumping the washer into the utility sink and taping off the existing water supply lines. The vent is somewhat visible in the 2nd picture, it is 1.5''. Is this legal? Is there a better way? My concern with the aforementioned is that it won't be very appealing to the eye having hoses running this way and that. Any information would be appreciated and if there's any pertinent info. I have omitted please let me know. I live in a small town about 70 miles west of Chicago. Thanks Matt

Pic #1: view from laundry room
Pic #2: view from behind my oven which shares the same wall as the laundry plumbing
Pic #3: view from basement looking up: laundry water supply and sewer tie in

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 30,330
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 10,374
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 7,987
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Cutting a santee into the standpipe doesn't prevent what the vented santee is designed for. Siphonage.
In new construction, it would look like this. Or at least both fixtures vented to prevent a trap from siphoning.

washer_rough_b.jpg

Here both the washer standpipe and the laundry tray are vented. It only takes a few more fittings.
Cutting out the drywall and putting it back is pretty simple.

laundry-tray.jpg

Last edited:

brownmc

Reaction score
Cutting a santee into the standpipe doesn't prevent what the vented santee is designed for. Siphonage.
In new construction, it would look like this. Or at least both fixtures vented to prevent a trap from siphoning.

washer_rough_b.jpg

Here both the washer standpipe and the laundry tray are vented. It only takes a few more fittings.
Cutting out the drywall and putting it back is pretty simple.
Thank you for your reply. Oddly enough that photo you shared is one I found doing a google image search. I can't wrap my head around how to make that work in my configuration. I've made a crude edit to these photos, hope it helps and doesn't insulate anyone's intelligence.

Attachments

• 01111.jpg
    01111.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 8,437
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 8,595

brownmc

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Oddly enough that photo you shared is one I found doing a google image search. I can't wrap my head around how to make that work in my configuration. I've made a crude edit to these photos, hope it helps and doesn't insulate anyone's intelligence.
I guess I can't picture how I would vent the existing stand pipe as there is very little room to work with

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's why I'm suggesting you remove some of the wall cover. It's easy enough to plumb for two fixtures if the wall is open. You just have to be open to the options you have.
What you have now is a big restriction, the wall board.
There are at least three ways to do that right. They do include tying into the vent higher up, and tying in lower down. You may need to move the washer trap up a bit, or you may wye in from the floor below.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You said you will dump the washer into the sink. THEREFORE, all you have to do is remove the washer "P" trap and tee then install a new tee at the proper height for the sink.

brownmc

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies thus far. I was finally able to open up the wall. What I found looks pretty straight forward. However, there is a pipe coming out of the basement floor, into the wall (on the left), and capped. I do not understand the purpose of this pipe. I was thinking it was the vent for the drain in the basement (pictured) or the rough in for the basement plumbing. Pictures 2-6 follow the pipe in the basement to where it comes out of the wall and is capped.

Attachments

• 074.JPG
    074.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 9,572
  • 082.JPG
    082.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 7,711
  • 077.JPG
    077.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 31,506
  • 078.JPG
    078.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 7,631
  • 079.JPG
    079.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 7,727
  • 075.JPG
    075.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 8,154

brownmc

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the cap on the mystery pipe in the wall and my basement rough in which isn't far from the vertical pipe coming out of the concrete.
I know I had originally said I could just dump the washer into the laundry sink but really id like to put the laundry box behind the washer and dryer for a cleaner look. Thanks ahead of time.

Attachments

• 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 7,442
  • 080.JPG
    080.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 7,486

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
index.php

This looks like a vent for the floor drain.
You have pipes capped off in the slab closer to the wall too. Is that a basement bath rough that hasn't been completed? It could be that the 2" pipe that is capped is the vent for that. In fact, I would not be surprised that the pipe near the floor drain is a vent, which was supposed to pick up the bathroom 2" vent, and up through the roof. The vent could revent at 42" above on the next floor to the existing vent.
The washer should have gone down a pipe that was purely for waste. A washer from above, or even on the same floor would siphon any trap downstream if not vented before entering the line.

I don't see the picture I need, which is maybe a line drawing of your layout.

brownmc

Reaction score
index.php

This looks like a vent for the floor drain.
You have pipes capped off in the slab closer to the wall too. Is that a basement bath rough that hasn't been completed? It could be that the 2" pipe that is capped is the vent for that. In fact, I would not be surprised that the pipe near the floor drain is a vent, which was supposed to pick up the bathroom 2" vent, and up through the roof. The vent could revent at 42" above on the next floor to the existing vent.
The washer should have gone down a pipe that was purely for waste. A washer from above, or even on the same floor would siphon any trap downstream if not vented before entering the line.

I don't see the picture I need, which is maybe a line drawing of your layout.

The capped pipes are for a basement bath: sink, toilet, shower, vent as the are labeled from right to left in that picture. The washing machine from above does dump into the waste side not into this vent coming out of the basement floor. They run very close to one another which might make the photos look deceiving. I will try to make a drawing. The pipe coming out of the basement floor goes up, over and up through the floor where it is capped in the wall. It is the pipe that is capped in the first picture I posted (vertical pipe far left in photo). It ties into nothing between coming out of the concrete and ending in the wall above.

brownmc

Reaction score
I couldn't rotate the thing, sorry

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    183.4 KB · Views: 938

brownmc

Reaction score
Here is what I am picturing provided that the capped pipe does need to be tied into the existing vent.

Attachments

• 072.JPG
    072.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 117,624

brownmc

Reaction score
Excellent and thank you. Any idea on that capped pipe? Should it be tied in? Have you seen anything like this before? Perhaps a plumber taking a short cut?

brownmc

Reaction score
Does that additional vent need tied in within a certain distance? Stand pipe height on the washer is 32''? Anything I need to know about the height for the laundry sink drain?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Excellent and thank you. Any idea on that capped pipe? Should it be tied in? Have you seen anything like this before? Perhaps a plumber taking a short cut?

I think it was a future something that was never completed. Now would be a good time.
Most likely, it was supposed to be a vent for the downstairs that was never tied in.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Does that additional vent need tied in within a certain distance? Stand pipe height on the washer is 32''? Anything I need to know about the height for the laundry sink drain?

Pick up the landry sink first and measure. That's the best way. Some can be pretty low.

brownmc

Reaction score
Pick up the landry sink first and measure. That's the best way. Some can be pretty low.
Okay thank you, so if I use the double fixture fitting both the washing machine and sink can share the existing vent?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks