What is the best bacteria additive to septic system.

Users who are viewing this thread

SergeFlorida

Reaction score
Just recently moved to new house with well water and septic system and I am trying to learn how both systems work. After finishing my well water softener I have a question about septic system. I am not sure what previous owner did to the system in terms of maintenance, but I read some info online that I need to put some bacteria once a month. My question is in title. I am getting different messages in terms of what is the best and some websites says do not use rid-x as it will damage bacteria balance and some says rid-x is the best choice. Can anyone share your personal experience in this area.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've always heard the Bio-Clean was the way to go with septics.

bio-clean.jpg

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The rid X dry is good , I quit using it when it came in liquid only.

I use Yeast and sugar mixed in Warm beer. Real Home Brew, Grandpa's way.

Never used the Bio-Clean, But it should work good.

The most important thing on a septic take system, is to watch what you flush.

Chemicals and some T-Paper can cause big problems.

You do not want to plug things up or kill your Micro Orgasms. lol

Good Luck.

SergeFlorida

Reaction score
The rid X dry is good , I quit using it when it came in liquid only.

I use Yeast and sugar mixed in Warm beer. Real Home Brew, Grandpa's way.

Never used the Bio-Clean, But it should work good.

The most important thing on a septic take system, is to watch what you flush.

Chemicals and some T-Paper can cause big problems.

You do not want to plug things up or kill your Micro Orgasms. lol

Good Luck.
Yes, I understand this part about chemicals and I found a list of safe chemicals for septic system. It is very interesting recipe not only for the septic but also for other uses. I am afraid without right proportions it may blow my septic tank, LOL. Thanks again.

beeje

Reaction score
When I first bought a property with a septic system in 1993 I took a class offered by the county and learned that you should not put anything in your septic system that did not come out of your body accept toilet paper. Still on septic following the same rules. Never had an issue. In fact the last tank pumper mentioned that this is the cleanest tank he has ever pumped out. Said it was well maintained. That was 7/2017. The prior pump out was in 2008.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just recently moved to new house with well water and septic system and I am trying to learn how both systems work. After finishing my well water softener I have a question about septic system. I am not sure what previous owner did to the system in terms of maintenance, but I read some info online that I need to put some bacteria once a month. My question is in title. I am getting different messages in terms of what is the best and some websites says do not use rid-x as it will damage bacteria balance and some says rid-x is the best choice. Can anyone share your personal experience in this area.
I'm assuming, like many, you may be worried about the water softener damaging the microbes in your septic. Don't. water softener discharge is NOT harmful to septic. the only thing entering the septic is chloride and hardness (mainly calcium and manesium). Chloride is what's left over after detaching from NaCl. Chloride differs from chlorine in that it is NOT an oxidizer or a biocidal, as is chlorine.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm assuming, like many, you may be worried about the water softener damaging the microbes in your septic. Don't. water softener discharge is NOT harmful to septic.
I disagree. Even if it was benign, it is an extra load on the system. If local laws permit it, then divert it as grey water. That is what I do however it is not benign as it killed several trees.

As for my septic tank, I have never used any special additive and routinely go longer than a decade between pumping it.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
I disagree. Even if it was benign, it is an extra load on the system. If local laws permit it, then divert it as grey water. That is what I do however it is not benign as it killed several trees.

As for my septic tank, I have never used any special additive and routinely go longer than a decade between pumping it.
it kills plants for a completely separate reason. plants/trees survive by making chlorophyll. Chlorides and salts prevent a plants flow of potassium and magnesium, both of which are vital ingredients in the making of chlorophyll.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Just have it pumped out every few years and don't worry about it. Around here it's $125 to have the tank pumped out. I do it every 2-3 years and consider it to be cheap insurance.

Reach4

Reaction score
Just have it pumped out every few years and don't worry about it. Around here it's $125 to have the tank pumped out. I do it every 2-3 years and consider it to be cheap insurance.
Sounds cheap. $500 would be expensive. Some charge extra to dig up the lid, and others don't.

The time between pumping is dependent on the system, the number of people it serves, and their habits. When you get it pumped after 2-3 years the first time, an experienced operator can estimate if you can go longer next time.

I don't think you need an additive. Enough bacteria will remain after pumping to get things processing again without an additive. You want to not put stuff down the garbage disposer, but instead put into the garbage. A bidet seat or bidet attachment will reduce toilet paper use, and leave you cleaner.

Last edited:

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Sounds cheap. $500 would be expensive. Some charge extra to dig up the lid, and others don't.

The time between pumping is dependent on the system, the number of people it serves, and their habits. When you get it pumped after 2-3 years the first time, an experienced operator can estimate if you can go longer next time.

I don't think you need an additive. Enough bacteria will remain after pumping to get things processing again without an additive. You want to not put stuff down the garbage disposer, but instead put into the garbage. A bidet seat or bidet attachment will reduce toilet paper use, and leave you cleaner.

Excellent advice. We actually had a riser and surface mounted lid installed on our tank a couple years ago so they don't have to dig every again. That cost $100, and they actually reduced our pump out cost from $175 each time to $125 because we have the riser and lid.

I do have one question for you though, see if you ever heard anything like this before. A friend of mine manages a sewage lagoon for a local high school. Basically all the waste gets pumped into a giant pond and he was certified by the state to manage it by checking bacterial levels, etc. So it's like a big open septic tank. He routinely goes out and will pour 50lb bags of cheap dog food into the pond if the bacteria levels get low and that gets them up and going and multiplying again. He said that the idea of not using a garbage disposal with a septic system is an old wives tale and they actually recommend using a garbage disposal because it adds organic food to the tank and keeps the bacterial strong and healthy and keeps them multiplying.

Reach4

Reaction score
I do have one question for you though, see if you ever heard anything like this before. A friend of mine manages a sewage lagoon for a local high school. Basically all the waste gets pumped into a giant pond and he was certified by the state to manage it by checking bacterial levels, etc. So it's like a big open septic tank. He routinely goes out and will pour 50lb bags of cheap dog food into the pond if the bacteria levels get low and that gets them up and going and multiplying again. He said that the idea of not using a garbage disposal with a septic system is an old wives tale and they actually recommend using a garbage disposal because it adds organic food to the tank and keeps the bacterial strong and healthy and keeps them multiplying.
Interesting!
These are from *.edu sites. That doesn't mean they are necessarily right, but the probably don't have a bias on this topic. They either suggest to avoid some things, particularly fats, they also seem to think that the whole volume of solids will contribute to stuff that will need to be pumped. Some is broken down and some contributes to faster sludge.

https://ossf.tamu.edu/frequently-asked-questions/#Question 4
https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/HENV/HENV-106-W.pdf
https://wsg.washington.edu/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/outreach/Septic-sense.pdf
https://polk.extension.wisc.edu/files/2010/12/Care-and-Maintenance-of-Residential-Septic-Systems.pdf

Maybe further research is good. The could be more useful than many topics that are called research.

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/2079/2014/02/septic-additives.pdf has a list of septic additives deemed safe. It says
However, approval and listing does not guarantee or certify the product is effective. Common household products, such as detergents, bleach, drain cleaners, and toilet cleaners, are excluded from this regulation.​

Last edited:

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Interesting!
These are from *.edu sites. That doesn't mean they are necessarily right, but the probably don't have a bias on this topic. They either suggest to avoid some things, particularly fats, they also seem to think that the whole volume of solids will contribute to stuff that will need to be pumped. Some is broken down and some contributes to faster sludge.

Thanks, I should have been more clear. I agree that things like fats or grease that can't be broken down easily or will float on the top and risk getting into the leech field, or too much so it ends up increasing sludge. I also found a whole slew of information that said things on both sides. Personally, we only put food waste down, but also have it pumped out every few years, but I wondered how you felt after seeing some of your comments. I'll check out the links you posted in more detail later. Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Personally, we only put food waste down, but also have it pumped out every few years, but I wondered how you felt after seeing some of your comments.
I have one septic tank that I have gotten pumped twice. So very limited experience. Price for pumping seems very reasonable to me compared to me, typical $300 and more for sewer charges.

I don't have a disposal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks