Tagaki TK2 keeps tripping the GFCI, help

Users who are viewing this thread

sapo

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a TK2 about 11 years old with the 'remote' controller. Recently it has started tripping the GFCI I have it hardwired into. I have removed everything else from the circuit and replaced the GFCI. I have not made any recent changes and there is no obvious moisture in or around the unit.
Anyone have any ideas or such to help me resolve this?
Thanks
james

Reach4

Reaction score
I would isolate the power wires from the unit. Measure the resistance from each power wire to a ground such as a water pipe. What is the resistance? What you look for would differ if the resistance is 10 kilohms vs if the resistance is 4 ohms.

sapo

Reaction score
I would isolate the power wires from the unit. Measure the resistance from each power wire to a ground such as a water pipe. What is the resistance? What you look for would differ if the resistance is 10 kilohms vs if the resistance is 4 ohms.

Hi, Thank you.
Just to clarify-am I checking the resistance through the unit?
Isolate power into unit, ground meter and check one power wire then the other power wire. See what the resistance is and compare the two?

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi, Thank you.
Just to clarify-am I checking the resistance through the unit?
Isolate power into unit, ground meter and check one power wire then the other power wire. See what the resistance is and compare the two?

I was suggesting that you check the resistance from each wire to ground. What is the lowest? Make sure the breaker is off for any resistance test.

You could also check power wire to power wire also. A very low resistance there could blow a breaker, but that would be from too many amps, and the resistance would be very low. The GFI part can blow with only 5 milliamps of current, so a resistance of 25 kilohms or less could do that.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would suspect something in the electronic ignition. Does it happen as soon as you plug it in ? Or when it fires up ?

Or you could have a leak and water has been getting on the electronics.

Good Luck.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If anything leaked, even just a drip at a time, the mineral content can act as a resistive current path eventually. If you're really lucky, you can look things over and clean things up really well, and have it work for a lot longer. Otherwise, it may require some parts replacement!

Another thing to check - disconnect the power leads, put some wire nuts or electrical tape on them, and then turn the GFCI back on and see if it trips. It's possible that you have a problem in the wiring. I had that situation in my home on one of the cables between a pair of receptacles. Not sure what it was, I ran a new wire, but I had intermittent tripping of the GFCI that gradually became much more frequent, eventually over a couple of years to the point where it was tripping nearly daily, and then it would not stay on at all. I expect that there was a nail or something that eventually created a bad enough fault to trip it and kept it from being reset. Once I isolated that wire and used a new one...it's been fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks