Toilets won't flush unless cleanout plug off

Users who are viewing this thread

John Read

Reaction score
We have two bathrooms, on opposite sides of our home, north and south. Their are three cleanouts, one each right outside the bathroom windows, the third located next to southwest corner of the house. Neither toilet will flush...unless I unplug the cleanout nearest the south bathroom (which of course discharges the sewage onto our lawn!). I have augered all three cleanouts (with a 40' snake) and the south toilet (with a closet auger) and found no blockage. Where the devil is the obvious blockage?!

Reach4

Reaction score
The blockage is lower than the cleanout that discharges water onto the lawn. Do you have a city sewer? That probably needs cleaning between the house and the street.

If that cleanout is 4 inches, I suggest that you call a sewer cleanout service. This would usually require bigger equipment than your 40 ft snake. This would be power equipment that can cut through roots and more.

If you don't have a city sewer, call the septic cleanout service. Stop using water as best you can until your tank is pumped. You can do damage to your septic field if you have not done so already.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
DIY drain augers are usually a joke. The pro models are too dangerous for a novice to even consider. Time for a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks