No soft water, brine tank water level high...

Users who are viewing this thread

mattdiy

Reaction score
I have a Culligan Mark 100. it uses a float in the brine tank. We don't have any soft water. I've cleaned out the brine tank, refilled with salt, and the water level doesn't seem to fluctuate at all. The line between the resin and brine tank is not clogged. I blew a little bit of compressed air into the float line and could see the bubbles in the water when I lifted it up a bit. However, with the float line all the way down in normal position, I could not see any bubbles; I thought that was strange. I've been reluctant to use any significant amount of pressurized air as I don't know if that could damage something. I just don't think that the brine is being circulated. I only have a general understanding of softeners and how they work, but I'm fairly hands on and willing to DIY before contacting a professional. Any help is appreciated!

Matt

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Put the unit into bypass, red in and blue out and then push the regen now button.
Once water stops going to the drain, remove the three screws that hold a kind of tri-angle plate on the back spine of the valve and clean the injector and screen that you will find there.
If that is plugged there will be no brine draw thus the water in the salt tank.

mattdiy

Reaction score
I did as you suggested. There was no build up of any kind; I really didn't know what to clean as it seemed fine. I disengaged the bypass and the cycle is now regenerating. I'm anxious for your next suggestion. One thing I am unsure of is the positioning of the float; how high or low it should be set. I've never had the brine tank fill up with water as though it would overflow. My tank is about 1/2 full of salt pellets with the water about an inch or two above this. I will note that it's probably been the first time in 8 years that I've engaged the bypass; don't know if that means anything though. Awaiting your thoughts for the next thing to look at. Thanks again!

Reach4

Reaction score
I have never seen a Culligan softener. Akpsdvan has. So I am talking generic stuff that I expect applies, but I could be wrong.

Having your water half full in the brine tank would either not be normal, or you use a really large amount of salt for each regen. I am thinking the problem is that you are not drawing brine out. So either your system is not sucking properly, or there is an air leak and the system sucks air instead of brine.

If you are talking about a float in the brine tank that is off to the side by the inlet, its only job is to keep the tank from overflowing in case the softener stops drawing brine but the refill still functions. In that case, the float should be low enough to keep the tank from leaking water out of the hole in the side.

Now your description of how your float worked with air seems opposite of what we would expect. I kinda ignored that.

There is another float in the bottom of most brine tanks, that is part of the pickup, who's job is to keep the softener from sucking air. That ball is hidden and would not have an adjustment, so I am pretty sure that is not the one you are talking about. During a regen, the water should all be drawn out until it gets down to that pickup point in the bottom.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have never touched the float assembly then there would be no need to change where the foam float is at, it was pre set from the factory and dealer and have yet to see one change on its own.
If you started it into a regen let us know if the water came down in the salt tank.
Also listen to how the unit is moving between steps of the cycle, if it sounds like it is having a hard time moving the pistons then it could be time for a piston rebuild, and the upper or lower piston seals may not be sealing as they should and not getting the suction 100%/

mattdiy

Reaction score
If you have never touched the float assembly then there would be no need to change where the foam float is at, it was pre set from the factory and dealer and have yet to see one change on its own.
If you started it into a regen let us know if the water came down in the salt tank.
Also listen to how the unit is moving between steps of the cycle, if it sounds like it is having a hard time moving the pistons then it could be time for a piston rebuild, and the upper or lower piston seals may not be sealing as they should and not getting the suction 100%/

The water level remained unchanged. I don't think I could determine if there is any difficulty with the pistons. Is there anything else I can do to discover a leak or is a piston rebuild necessary. Thanks once again.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that the water level did not change during the regeneration, as opposed to saying the level was the same before and after.

You could route the brine tube into a bucket of water, and see if the brine cycle sucks water then. Alternatively, disconnect the brine tube from the controller and suck. If there is not an air leak, you should get a mouth full of brine rather than air.

mattdiy

Reaction score
Would it be difficult to suck some out with my mouth? If not, I'll try that. At least for sure I would know.

Reach4

Reaction score
Should be easy, but not tasty. Spit it out. Rinse your mouth with water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks