is it possible to over-tighten tub drain flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nikita

Reaction score
I recently replaced a bathtub drain flange along with the rubber gasket that goes between the (acrylic or fiberglass?) tub and ABS train shoe. The shoe & tub are likely ~ 20 years old. Put stain-free putty 'ring' on the flange and tightened it. See a small leak from around the shoe area (cannot see whether from around the gasket or the shoe-pipe connection) only when water is draining. no leak when tub is filled and stopper engaged.

I will disassemble / clean / reassemble the flange (as advised in other posts) before calling a pro, but wanted to understand how much to tighten the drain flange? I have a drain removal tool that I rotate using pliers. Should I keep tightening until the flange stops turning completely? ie as tightly as possible? I feel I could probably tighten another 1/8th of a turn but heard the tub creak a little bit already and wonder if I can actually crack the tub or damage the shoe threads if I go any further.

Also I heard that tubs flex. Is it then better to stand on it while tightening the flange?

Thanks,
-nikita

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes. There's an epidemic of upstairs tub and shower leaks in my area. Quite a few of them are from over-tightened tub drains. For sure, one of the problems is the cheap-ass washer that often comes with the waste and overflow. They tend to bulge out of place when over-tightened. Thing is, it often doesn't leak until the putty ages and dries and cracks, ten years or more down the road.
So, if you have a nice substantial washer, dope-up the threads on the 'flange', put a nice roll of putty under the flange, then tighten it down gradually in several stages to avoid spinning the putty out, it should work long term. Don't tighten it as hard as you possibly can, just very firmly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks