Deck over space

Users who are viewing this thread

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
A helper usually helps... I find mud bed pulling is very relaxing LOL
IMG_2407.JPG

nothing relaxing happened here on this day. my helper started to whine when he tore into bag 10 or so.. Only 20 to go buddy I said.....then i ran out and was 2 bags shy at 630 in the evening....

Robertos wheel barrel is appealing....

JW.- That weep system looks like an improved method to me. And you only defaulted on what ? 3 warranties......LOL

I would have been rocking some hank williams sr. as I went "cowboy" on that weep system upgrade. Its like youre in the wild west of weep holes....!!!

Last edited:

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
10 bags of 40Kg Portland went into the project RSCB and my helper didn't complain once . All in one day , 2 persons .

It really helped in being able to mix close by . The wheel barrow is really a must for transportation purposes when mixing a good quantity .

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Could not imagine the shear volume of work mixing up deck mud for a Torch On - Troba install. You would need a power cement mixer for sure.
This just shows how little John understands the product...Troba, or Troba Plus has a compressive strength of 8,000 pounds, and with either, you make a mudbed that abides by the industry standards based on the substrate you have. IOW, if you're using say TrobaPlus, other than the thickness of the uncoupling membrane itself, you would not use any more deckmud than you would over any other surface. With Troba, the depth is 5/16", and the 'studs' cover about 1/2 of the surface area, so that's about 5/32" on average of 'extra' mud you might need or no extra mud with the TrobaPlus...IOW, unenlightened blather designed to bash a product that works, not saying that what was chosen won't.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You lazy bitches.... :) -----> (kidding - a joking friendly burn).

I humped in the bags. The water from the neighbours garden tap. Did all the mixing. It's getting easier working on my own. I have been at it for almost 11 months. Might be because I'm fitter.
Almost every manufacturer packages a deck mud mix: Mapei's is "4 to 1", Laticrete's is 209 Deck Mud...much less mixing, only add water...work smarter, not harder is the norm for a pro. Both of them are at the ratio you seem to prefer.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Almost every manufacturer packages a deck mud mix: Mapei's is "4 to 1", Laticrete's is 209 Deck Mud...much less mixing, only add water...work smarter, not harder is the norm for a pro. Both of them are at the ratio you seem to prefer.

I think it is time now to use the magic button ....... much better now .

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Feel free to mix a few tons of sand and concrete back and forth to get it properly blended, then add the water, or buy it already mixed at the factory to the same proportions...your choice. Time is money, but maybe it'll save a trip to the gym for those so inclined. If I were a paying customer, I'd be pissed, though.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
If i may, deck mud is a hand felt art of craftsmenship, not so much a pdf or a bag with directions.

The art is in the mixing of dryblend first and adding incremental water and tossing the directions out jims window.........chop with hoe and fold with shovel until your back hurts twice.. All while cutting with sand til it clumps right.

Factor in the wind, the humidity, the drymix, and the wet mix, the speed and the skillset to screed, then add in screeding at various grades and such, bond slurry coats, substrate considertaions .

Jim would have you think its a printout and powerpoint situation with full warranty. Jims lost in the regan era of defense industry approaches. Waiting for uncle sam to make good on his warranty and bag instructions.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
If i may, deck mud is a hand felt art of craftsmenship, not so much a pdf or a bag with directions.

The art is in the mixing of dryblend first and adding incremental water and tossing the directions out jims window.........chop with hoe and fold with shovel until your back hurts twice.. All while cutting with sand til it clumps right.

Factor in the wind, the humidity, the drymix, and the wet mix, the speed and the skillset to screed, then add in screeding at various grades and such, bond slurry coats, substrate considertaions .

If it would only be about the mixing part ........ our life would be so easy . I wouldn't go into the using of the wet sand part advantage , or 15 minutes mix time -- ready to use -- for 400Kg batch .........

RSCB said:
Waiting for uncle sam to make good on his warranty and bag instructions.

Uncle Sam is already present on the pdf . But that's another debate for another time .

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Gong show!!! what a great show.

Deck waterproofing is a valid topic and sorry we let the orange julius himself derail us...carry on...

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The layers of an exterior deck built using Schluters Ditra & troba.

In the example below we see a Schluter workshop. look at the layers in the cross section closet to you.

attachment.php

That is not Troba, it's an older version of Bekotec, designed to be used with the installation of hydronic tubing...the stubs are notched to hold the pex in place, and the depth is there to protect the top of the pex from damage when troweling and to provide some thermal mass. Troba is a drainage mat. TrobaPlus adds a filter screen on top of the Troba and helps limit how much deckmud you need since it does not go down to the flats and encase the vertical projections.

More misinformation from the Schluter hater.
ss_prod_troba_r_tif_rdax_290x193_80.jpg

Attachments

• ss_prod_bekotecenp_1_r_rdax_289x193_80.jpg
    ss_prod_bekotecenp_1_r_rdax_289x193_80.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 331
  • ss_prod_trobaplus_3_r_tif_rdax_290x193_80.jpg
    ss_prod_trobaplus_3_r_tif_rdax_290x193_80.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 328

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
John whats your take on Trex, may be a good addition to your deck builds(decking ONLY!).....when I was still building decks (digging post holes) we used a lot of trex and lumber blends.........got to do a bit of an overbuild on the framing and add extra blocking as it can flex a bit much even on shorter runs...

Trex deck finish.JPG

DonL

Reaction score
That is not Troba, it's an older version of Bekotec, designed to be used with the installation of hydronic tubing...the stubs are notched to hold the pex in place, and the depth is there to protect the top of the pex from damage when troweling and to provide some thermal mass. Troba is a drainage mat. TrobaPlus adds a filter screen on top of the Troba and helps limit how much deckmud you need since it does not go down to the flats and encase the vertical projections.

More misinformation from the Schluter hater.View attachment 26077

Jim,

Why do you post when everyone but me says they have you blocked ?

If they do have you blocked they are missing out on the good stuff.

Just saying. Enjoy.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Jim,

Why do you post when everyone but me says they have you blocked ?

If they do have you blocked they are missing out on the good stuff.

Just saying. Enjoy.
If someone is interested enough to read the posts, they'll see the bias and misinformation in John's posts. I'll stop correcting when he stops with the distortions and errors.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The earlier version of Trex tended to sag between supports if it was installed in a very hot climate. I do not know if they've changed it, or changed the recommended installation for smaller spacing on the joists. THere's probably at least 3-4 different companies that make non-wood decking, and they each have their own good and bad points. I have some TimberTech stuff on a small deck. It ages like normal wood (turns grey). Heed their installation instructions and do not force the tongue into the groove or it will buckle over time as any of them expand and contract with temp (not so much with moisture). The texture on that one also has its good and bad things...it doesn't get slippery, but it can trap crud, and needs to be cleaned, maybe more often to look its best. Power washing will return it to 'new wood' look.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are your pavers following the roof's slope? What pavers and rubber bumpers are you using?

Your comment about the Trex sleepers leads me to believe you sometimes level out your decks. Just in case you're not aware of them, Bison makes pedestals the can be used to level roof top decks. They also have decking panels that can be removed for cleaning underneath.

http://www.bisonip.com

DonL

Reaction score
John,

You do do nice work. I do too in my field.

Your "Please Note: I do not read nor do I see Jim's (Jadnashua) posts. " sucks big time.

I wish you would remove it, before the Big Boys do, and make you stop advertising on this site for free.

You need to pay up !!! Or shut Up !!!

Yes Your Friend DonL.

PS. I will Be back..... I would watch your back, But you should not Stab anyone in the back like you are doing.

Just a friendly reminder.

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
No standing water prep approach is a must in any deck build and aiming for long term problem free benefit is our standard .

Roof deck prepped to receive the torch on

No water standing prep 1.jpg
No water standing prep.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks