Outdoor Spicket-to-hose

Users who are viewing this thread

cjmarty

Reaction score
I'm sure this is a simple fix, and likely something many know, but I am having difficulty fitting any hose (new or old) to the water spicket (located in the garage). I've purchased and returned several hoses, and am sure that I am missing an adaptor of some sort, but am completely unsure as to what I should be looking for.

[Attached a photo below]

The house is about 15yrs old, and judging by some very mild Lyme/corrosion, I'm guessing the spicket is the original.

Thank you in advance! We purchased our home about 3yrs ago, and soon-to-be 2 babies later, I am just getting around to power-washing outside.

Attachments

• IMG_20140827_113329.jpg
    IMG_20140827_113329.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 249

Reach4

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_hose says the garden hose thread " has an outer diameter of 1 1/16 inches (26.99 mm) and a pitch of 11.5 TPI 2.2 mm".

Measure yours as best you can. If your thread matches this, inspect the thread to see if it has damage in the first thread. You might be able to repair that.

A thread repair file that does 11.5 TPI should be useful. http://handtools.jawco.com/item/all-categories/thread-restoring-files-2/nu-thread-7? seems to be such a file, and the Victor TF-7 may be that same piece. The file is square, and it has 8 different threads including 11.5 TPI. However a small triangular file might do the job, and that may be available at your hardware store.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're not missing anything, a hose should screw on. I seriously doubt that the thread are not the correct size and pitch. That leaves just a damaged thread. Working on the threads while the bib is still attached to the house may be difficult. I you determine you want to remove the bib to either work on or replace, you need to understand how these are connected or you could do some serious damage. A frost free bibs shut off about 12" inside the house. When removal is necessary, you must access where the bib is connected to the main water supply. Then it requires 2 wrenches. One to remove the bib and one to provide counter pressure so the supply line is not twisted. When replacing, note there is an arrow to indicate which side is up. Likely the biggest problem you will have in repairing or replacing is access. It is always possible the bib is soldered, but that isn't too likely.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks