Resin smell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wojo42

Reaction score
We just installed our fleck system and it seems to be working well. No more iron smell and the staining in the shower and toilet has stopped. Bad news is I'm starting to get a smell in the water. Wife says it smells like cabbage, I just think it smells like crap.
I read somewhere on here there was a bad batch of resin that led to a bad smell, so that's the first thing that popped into my head. Second is maybe we are getting something bad in the water. Going to head to the local water softener store to see what type of test kits they have to retest again to make sure it's not that.

Could it be the resin, and should I replace it, or should I wait till after I get a water test back?

Wojo42

Reaction score
Took a visit to the local water store and was told that there may be a possible chemical reaction taking place in the hot water tank with the anode rod and should remove this.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You should give it time.

I would change the anode with a better one. Not just remove it.

I know people remove them, But not that great of a idea.

Is the smell in your hot water only ?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Are you sure a softener is adequate for the level of iron present? Generally when it is noticeable enough to smell, an iron filter would be used before the softener. While a softener can and will remove a small amount of iron, larger amounts may quickly foul the resin.

That said, did you sanitize the system after installing? One can contaminate the system with bacteria that then establishes itself in flex supply lines and water heaters.

Wojo42

Reaction score
Welp I ran the cold water for a bit and took a sniff and you could smell it in there as well so I doubt it's the hot water rod. Weird thing is the smell only lasts for only a few seconds once put into a cup. Then you couldnt smell it anymore.

Our iron when tested last year was at .69 mg/L
We just purchased a fleck 7000 w/ 48000 grain and installed it last week.

We did not sanitize the system after install. I'll have to do some research to see how to do that.

Reach4

Reaction score
How deep is the well? Any black colors in the toilet tank, or only rust red?

Does it smell a little like decomposing leaves?

Regarding the smell possibly being from the softener, your outside hose taps probably do not go through the softener.

DonL

Reaction score
No kidding, I've got that thing memorized by now.

The sanitation method may be in another language. But it should be in the manual.

Did You get instructions on how to do it ?

Sounds like you have Iron Bactria , but I am no expert. I think LL hit the nail on the head.

Wojo42

Reaction score
The sanitation method may be in another language. But it should be in the manual.

Did You get instructions on how to do it ?

Sounds like you have Iron Bactria , but I am no expert. I think LL hit the nail on the head.

Unless the install process is something different from sanitation process, no I didn't do it. I followed the manual on install and start up to a T.

Wojo42

Reaction score
How deep is the well? Any black colors in the toilet tank, or only rust red?

Does it smell a little like decomposing leaves?

Regarding the smell possibly being from the softener, your outside hose taps probably do not go through the softener.

We do get a decomposing smell, but it doesn't happen all the time. I'm not sure how deep the well is since it wasn't written on our inspection, but they did mark down the well cap was damaged. (Could cause iron bacteria to infiltrate)

Only have gotten red stains. Checked the back of the toilet and it has the red stains, but seemed to be a little slippery.

Reach4

Reaction score
How far out of the ground is the top of your casing?

The bacteria you would worry about with a damaged well cap would not be iron-reducing bacteria but bacteria that live at the surface.

Wojo42

Reaction score
How far out of the ground is the top of your casing?

The bacteria you would worry about with a damaged well cap would not be iron-reducing bacteria but bacteria that live at the surface.

About a foot and a half.

DonL

Reaction score
It may be a lot not to worry about.

That is French for all may be good.

What makes you sick makes you stronger. That is a Fact, correct me if I am wrong.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
As I said, bacteria can establish in the rubber or plastic flexible supply hoses and the symptom is as you describe, a smell on first use that then diminishes. I have had that happen after working on my system and not shocking it afterwards.

The bacteria can come from the well but it can also be on your hands and transferred when handling the plumbing fittings.

DonL

Reaction score
lol, I missed the last line of your post. :)

We were on the same page.

Last time I installed a softener it took a month to work properly, on a once a week rejuvenation.

Smells come and go for a bit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks