Shut off valve leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Dato Da

Reaction score
Hi,

I just posted about a valve that doesn't turn. Now, in order to find out which way to turn to shut off a value, I tried it on one that seems turn-able. It did turn, but then it started leaking!

P1000679.JPG

My toilet paper test shows that the leak is at the screw (the greenish area in the picture). Is there something I may do to stop the leaking? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. You want to replace the valve with a 1/4 turn ball valve. You will disconnect the flex hose from the valve. Then you will turn the valve CCW. The nipple may unscrew from within the wall. That's OK. Remove the valve from the nipple. Either replace or re-use the nipple. Put teflon tape on both ends of the nipple, and screw on the new valve.

If the valve first comes loose from the nipple, you can leave the nipple in place. Teflon tape the free end, and screw on the new valve.

Many would suggest replacing the flex line to the toilet while making the swap. Others would reuse if it looks to be in good shape.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As noted previously, replace with a 1/4 turn valve. A toilet valve should always be fully on or completely off, so the 1/4 turn is an obvious choice. Replace the flex line. It's cheap insurance. Sure, the old one might last for years, but it also might split tomorrow. You will have the labor done, and you have to go to the hardware/plumbing store anyway, so buy the supply line while you're at it.

Dato Da

Reaction score
Thank you folks very much for your suggestions.

I tried opening it all the way, and then backed it in a bit. That seems to reduce the amount of the leak (now one drop every couple of minutes), but it's still leaking. I tried tightening the bonnet nut (the greenish hex thing in my picture) with the two-wrench approach, but I couldn't move it in either direction (perhaps I was being too gentle). Is there anything I may do to help me turn the bonnet nut? Or is there something else I may try to stop that small leak? Can I just slap some plumber's putty/silicon on the stem?

Just in case I do need to replace the valve: Could you please tell me from the picture if the valve is soldered on the pipe or if it's screwed on? I don't really see a nipple in there, so does that mean I need to cut the pipe if I want to replace it with a 1/4-turn valve?

I am sorry for my stupid questions--I have close to zero experience in DIY. Thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
It's probably easier to replace the valve, and you will have a valve that works better.

Here is a thread that might help: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/warning-on-toilet-shutoff-valve.34282/ Sliding that escutcheon from the wall may help see what is going on. You could also try a close up picture taken with a camera in macro mode.

A magnet will stick to a steel pipe, and that would insure threaded. A magnet will not stick to brass or copper. Brass is usually threaded, and copper is usually soldered.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
That is chrome sleave soldered on to copper tube and can not just be cut off pull the chrome bell away
from the wall and take a look.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I enlarged the photo and discovered something interesting; we use the same china.
Now, run down to the home center and purchase a chrome angle stop with a 3/8 compression outlet.
Come home, turn off the water, throw down some towels, and remove the handle and stem, etc from the shut-off.
Remove the handle and stem from the new shut-off that you just purchased and screw that sucker into the valve body of the old shut-off. Reattach the supply tube, turn the water on, then check for leaks. You're done.
The quarter-turn is nice, but this is easier.

Dato Da

Reaction score
This is what it looks like behind the chrome bell:

P1000680.JPG

The white stuff there obscures things quite a bit, so I took another picture of an identical shut off valve under the sink that looks cleaner:

P1000681.JPG

As you may see there, it's actually two pipes-- One that comes out of the wall and the other connected with the valve, with the latter wrapping around the former. Is this soldered on?

Dato Da

Reaction score
I enlarged the photo and discovered something interesting; we use the same china.

:) I got mine at Costco. Did you too?

Now, run down to the home center and purchase a chrome angle stop with a 3/8 compression outlet.
Come home, turn off the water, throw down some towels, and remove the handle and stem, etc from the shut-off.

Thanks for your suggestion. How do I remove the handle and stem? I suppose I need to remove the bonnet nut in order to get to them. Alas, I can't turn the bonnet in either direction. :(

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure on the "china".

You'll need two tools to remove the nut. One to grip the valve body and one to unscrew the bonnet. Turn the nut tighter first to break it loose, then start unscrewing it ccw. Turn the handle ccw and remove the stem. Look inside the body for black washer fragments and fish out any you find. Screw the new stem into the valve body followed by the nut. The assembly may bind up if you start the bonnet first.
The tools you need would be maybe channel-lock pliers and an adjustable wrench. The whole house water would be turned off during this procedure.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
That sleeve is soldered on and needs to be heated off.Copper tube coming out of the wall.
You cannot just cut the chrome sleeve and install a new valve on the chrome sleeve.
Copper tube to short if you cut it off behind chrome sleeve.
If you can get the bonnet off you may be able to repair the existing valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
How do you think that the valve is attached to the chrome?

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
It is
How do you think that the valve is attached to the chrome?
It is a chrome plated copper tube made for finish work and it is soldered on.
It has the same ID as the OD 1/2"copper tube as in a copper to copper coupling.
Factory made I have installed them many times.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi,

I just posted about a valve that doesn't turn. Now, in order to find out which way to turn to shut off a value, I tried it on one that seems turn-able. It did turn, but then it started leaking!

View attachment 25974

My toilet paper test shows that the leak is at the screw (the greenish area in the picture). Is there something I may do to stop the leaking? Thanks.
Watch out for those metal supplys feeding the toilet, they get a fine crack in them all the time. Toilets sometimes become loose, floor becomes soft or house settles and theres not much play in these

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have close to zero experience in DIY...

I predict a call to a local plumber on Saturday or Sunday

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I always put Lube on the stem when I jack with shutoff valves.

Tighten the stem seal works for most leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks