Electric Snake stuck in pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

WackaWacka

Reaction score
Hello, I need some help. I've rented yesterday from HD a 75ft 1/2 in power snake. It feeds and retrieves the cable by itself, all I had to do is hold the guide pipe down. I struggled for a bit to insert the cable into the pipe through the clean out( located outside next to my kitchen pipe) because of a 90degree elbow that I could not bend the snake through. I took the arrow head off and succeeded to insert the cable with no head in the pipe. By my estimate I went 30-40 feet in. I retracted it and put a spring head on. Again could not get the cable past the elbow, so I took the spring head off. I managed to insert the cable again with no head in. I think I went about 40-50 feet and the cable went no more.I reversed and tried again with no success. I decided to retrieve it. No go! It's stuck in there. The machine has no power to pull it back. I tried reverse..... I tried forward and backwards..... I tried pulling it with my hands. Nothing! HELP!
I've read in some forum about powder soap to lubricate the pipe. True?

WackaWacka

Reaction score
I've posted a pic so you can see the machine and where I went in from

index.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 12,456
Last edited by a moderator:

WV Bob

Reaction score
Got a come-along and a secure place to pull against?

Just the other day I read a post here mentioning running a snake through mud and maybe needing a truck to pull it back out once it's stuck. I hope it's not that bad in your case.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would hope it is out by now.

You need to be careful with what you put your snake in, and be able to pull it out quick.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello, I need some help. I've rented yesterday from HD a 75ft 1/2 in power snake. It feeds and retrieves the cable by itself, all I had to do is hold the guide pipe down. I struggled for a bit to insert the cable into the pipe through the clean out( located outside next to my kitchen pipe) because of a 90degree elbow that I could not bend the snake through. I took the arrow head off and succeeded to insert the cable with no head in the pipe. By my estimate I went 30-40 feet in. I retracted it and put a spring head on. Again could not get the cable past the elbow, so I took the spring head off. I managed to insert the cable again with no head in. I think I went about 40-50 feet and the cable went no more.I reversed and tried again with no success. I decided to retrieve it. No go! It's stuck in there. The machine has no power to pull it back. I tried reverse..... I tried forward and backwards..... I tried pulling it with my hands. Nothing! HELP!
I've read in some forum about powder soap to lubricate the pipe. True?
This happend to me before, what I did was hook the end of the snake to a power drill and reversed it out, slowly lots of torque in the drill

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks