New well owner help

Users who are viewing this thread

ahren111

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to wells. We just bought our first house with a well about 1yr ago & my pressure tank is out. The house was a bank owned so I don't have much info about the well a local well co did an inspection & told me it's producing 3gpm. I was planning on going with a well-x-trol 202xl, a new SS tee package and a CSV1. Anyone have any thoughts on my part choices? Any other suggestions to a first time well owner? Here's the parts I was going to order. https://www.aquascience.net/cart/
Thanks for your help.

ahren111

Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but with a small 1 gallon tank like with Pside kick kit the pump would come on more often, say every time I flush the toilet. With a bigger say 7 gallon draw draw down pressure tank it would only come on after I use the 7 gallons is that correct? Why would you want such a small tank & the pump coming on after such little use?

Reach4

Reaction score
I agree. A toilet flush would start the pump.

One thing the kit gets you is the CSV1A valve, which is the higher end one.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The local health dept would be a good place to get your well info.

I think I read someplace that Amtrol will not warranty the tank for seven years unless it and the shipping pallet are unloaded with a forklift. You might want to clarify that before you order.....

Why use a 202? If you have the space go with a tank that has some real drawdown like a 251, 255 or best yet, a 350

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Without a CSV you can’t put in a large enough tank to stop the cycling. A 202 only holds 5 gallons of water, a 251 only about 12, and even a 350 only holds 35 gallons. With a house that uses 500 gallons per day or more, that is a lot of cycling just to refill a big tank. And have you seen how much those big tanks cost?

With a CSV any tank larger than a 4.5 gallons size (1 gallon of water) is a waste of money, space, and heat. It doesn’t matter if the pump comes on every time you flush a toilet. How many times a day can a toilet be flushed anyway? What is important is that the pump stays running the entire time you are taking a shower, using a sprinkler, or any time water is used for extended periods, which is what a CSV makes it do. This takes out hundreds of cycles per day, so adding back in a few cycles for single toilet flushes doesn’t add up to enough cycling to need a larger tank.

Also with a CSV, when water is being used anywhere in or out of the house just before, right after, or during the same time a toilet is flushed, the pump does not see an extra cycle for the toilet. Even when a toilet is flushed multiple times in a row, you would have to wait 3 minutes between flushes to cause an extra cycle. Flush a toilet every 2 minutes and the CSV will just make the pump stay running continuously until you are finished flushing, even if you flush 100 times or more.

Of course you can use a CSV with as large a tank as you want. But after you see how the CSV works you will kick yourself for wasting all that money on a larger tank. As long as you are using more than 1 GPM, the CSV makes water go right past the tank, straight to the faucet(s) being used. It doesn’t matter if it is a 1 gallon or a million gallon tank.

With a CSV an 80 gallon size bladder tank is large enough for an entire city with 50,000 people, so you certainly don’t need one that large for a single house. In the past all you could do was install as large a tank as you could afford or had space for. With the CSV having proved itself for over 22 years now, that hasn’t been the case in a long time.

Big tank systems are outdated. You just as well use a horse and buggy instead of a car, or an old typewriter instead of a computer as to use a big tank instead of a CSV. Using a big tank WITH a CSV is like having a car pull the buggy you are still riding in.

The Pside-Kick kit with the CSV1A and the 4.5 gallon size tank will cycle the pump less and deliver stronger constant pressure than a room full of big expensive tanks, and is only a fraction of what a big tank cost.

akcooper9

Reaction score
Big tank systems are outdated. You just as well use a horse and buggy instead of a car, or an old typewriter instead of a computer as to use a big tank instead of a CSV. Using a big tank WITH a CSV is like having a car pull the buggy you are still riding in.

I've got a big 80 Gallon tank (thats what was set when the well was drilled) and I personally like it with my CSV that I installed a month ago. The only reason I see to not go with a smaller tank is because I like that I have a couple minutes after shutting off the hose before my pump kicks off thus allowing me to turn the hose back on and saving a cycle (Im weird I know :))

Else VM is right and I can how a big tank is not needed.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Using a CSV you can get the same "couple of minutes" of run time with a tank that only holds 2 gallons of water. Just set the CSV at the same as the pressure switch start pressure, and it will take 2 minutes to put 2 gallons in the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks