Kohler 1-pc Rialto flapper leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

mike21401

Reaction score
I have an older Kohler Rialto vintage 1988 whereby the flush handle turns 90 degrees down to flush and then doesn't right itself unless the user rights the handle. i was thinking that it was the flapper that would retract and drag the handle to the horizontal position and shut off the water flow into the bowl. My recollection is that there was a specialty flapper for these first rialtos but i cannot locate a model number on the tank. Has anyone had this experience and is there a proprietary flapper that accumulates water and receedes to right the handle?

chico1412

Reaction score
I have 3 Rialto -Kohler toilets in the new house I built and they all leak slowly. My problem is that the flapper is only slightly larger than the drain hole so if it doesn't seat properly, it leaks at intervals. No amount of changing chains etc will do the trick. I have adjusted the tower in the back so that the flapper falls in place but it doesn't always work. Did your purchasing of the 84995 flapper work? My model is the Rialto (round face K-3386 JA). Would be interested in knowing before I order three. Am building a new house next year and these will certainly not be my new toilets.

chico1412

Reaction score
Did your purchasing of the 84995 flapper work?

I have 3 Rialto -Kohler toilets in the new house I built and they all leak slowly. My problem is that the flapper is only slightly larger than the drain hole so if it doesn't seat properly, it leaks at intervals. No amount of changing chains etc will do the trick. I have adjusted the tower in the back so that the flapper falls in place but it doesn't always work. Did your purchasing of the 84995 flapper work? My model is the Rialto (round face K-3386 JA). Would be interested in knowing before I order three. Am building a new house next year and these will certainly not be my new toilets.

Bobmilldevils

Reaction score
The power of the internet solved my problem, or this forum did. My obstacle was the plastic bar, once I read the instructions below I was flushing in a minute. Thanks for all the help. I used Kohler part GP84995 that I got at Home Depot. I also used the bottom groove and 6 chain links, this was the factoy setting.

"So if the prongs are pointing toward the back of the flush valve, they're blocking the path of sliding the bar into the correct groove...they have to be pointing the opposite direction, toward the back of the tank. Then the bar just slides into the groove, you slide it back and forth a bit in the groove so you can then rotate the bar to reposition the prongs so they now point up."

outatime

Reaction score
Hi all, just registered. I guess it's true that you can really find any problem discussed on the internet.

Anyway, I think the Kohler part GP84995 doesn't work for me - the tank still leaks into the bowl because the flapper isn't positioned just right. I know this because I can seat it with my hand and make it stop. The overarching problem is the lever which pulls the flapper to the left and seats it to the left when it puts it back down. You can see that it even looks crooked when it seats.

The only real way to fix this is to get a longer lever which seats it in the center. Even then, it has to be JUST right. What a terrible design!

andrewk111

Reaction score
Just signed up here.

I also purchased the 84995 flapper since I have the exact same model toilet you have. I can't seem to fit the black plastic bar into the back hinges on the flush valve, even after reading your reply there. I know the water still runs when I just leave it alone. I know I can just keep the flapper in place during flush if I can only put it in the hinge!

Can you explain it in steps to get the bar into the hinges?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Korky (the inventor of the original toilet flapper) makes a replacement part for Kohler toilets that use Kohler flapper no. 84995 and 1000490. http://www.korky.com/?p=Product&i=781

Available at HD: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-2-...r-Kohler-Hinge-Style-Toilets-2011GK/100116905
And Lowe's: http://www.lowes.com/pd_113744-868-2011PK_0__?productId=1004853&Ntt=korky&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=korky&facetInfo=

The model numbers that this fits are located in this piece: http://www.korky.com/PDF/instructions/2011BP.pdf

The short answer is "stretch it", and make sure it goes in the slot that makes it level.

Look at the video at 1:07 to see the stretching.

Korky's video on how to put it in is here:

Last edited:

andrewk111

Reaction score
Korky (the inventor of the original flapper) makes a replacement part for Kohler toilets that use Kohler flapper no. 84995 and 1000490. http://www.korky.com/?p=Product&i=781

The model numbers that this fits are located in this piece: http://www.korky.com/PDF/instructions/2011BP.pdf

The short answer is "stretch it", and make sure it goes in the slot that makes it level.

Look at the video at 1:07 to see the stretching.

Korky's video on how to put it in is here:

Oh my God that video was a Godsend. This solved my entire past week! It turns out this toilet CAN take the black bar version as well as the rubber back version. Even so, I ordered a new rubber back version just in case I'm not satisfied with the flushing with this replacement, or so I have a back-up!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Oh my God that video was a Godsend. This solved my entire past week! It turns out this toilet CAN take the black bar version as well as the rubber back version. Even so, I ordered a new rubber back version just in case I'm not satisfied with the flushing with this replacement, or so I have a back-up!

So happy we could help! The folks at Korky really are good about trying to help people get the most out of their products, which is one reason I like to use their products when they are suited to the task. :)

Frank1

Reaction score
I have this toilet and have the same problem with the flapper valve failing to leak. I think that the problem is with the gasket in front of the flapper valve. Notice that the flapper assembly discharges sideways and not downward. There is a gasket where the flapper assembly connects to the tank. On my toilet the gasket looks bloated. The flapper hits and rubs against it and fails to seat. I am looking for a replacement gasket but having trouble locating it.

Jiggleit

Reaction score
Um..why does my "rialto" look nothing like that? Same angular flapper, but off to the side, and a tube that the afterwash water squirts into, which is loose.
1522519209668493508235.jpg

Adipose

Reaction score
Tried both flappers but both eventually leaked. The lever pulls it to the left until you get unlucky. I have moved it up one notch, hoping that a slight "hang" will cause it to recenter more naturally. So far, so good...

gregnhou

Reaction score
So far so good with a Rialto 3386 with the Kohler GP84995 flapper. Just be sure the plastic rectangles at the edge of the hinge are secured in the rectangular opening on the red flapper.
kohler GP84995 flapper for rialto marked.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks