PVC joints coming apart on intake piping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassadict69

Reaction score
I have 2" pvc ran approximately 30' out into the lake for the intake on my pump. Several times I have had joints come apart somehow. Regardless of what I have tried or what glue I have tried, I continue to have problems. Any ideas or suggestions?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Are you using primer ?

I put the glue on and let it melt the PVC a bit 30 seconds or so, Then Twist and hold for about 3 Minuets. Holding that long may be overkill but it works and does not move.

There are different glues for different PVC types. The correct glue should melt the pipe together.

Do you have couplings, or are they built into the pipe ?

The Belled PVC pipe is much better for the suction line.

Sometimes the Couplings to not match the Pipe you are using, and the Glue does not devolve the different plastics properly.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Bassadict69

Reaction score
Are you using primer ? Yes, I used primer

I put the glue on and let it melt the PVC a bit 30 seconds or so, Then Twist and hold for about 3 Minuets. Holding that long may be overkill but it works and does not move. I did not hold that long, but I did twist until it wouldnt twist any more and also made sure the pipe inserted all the way

There are different glues for different PVC types. The correct glue should melt the pipe together. Found that out the hard way one time...definitely the right glue.

Do you have couplings, or are they built into the pipe ? I used couplings

The Belled PVC pipe is much better for the suction line.

Sometimes the Couplings to not match the Pipe you are using, and the Glue does not devolve the different plastics properly.

Good Luck.

What are my options now with joints coming loose underwater.? I am scared if I lift the pipe up enough to get the joint above water for the repair, I will break another joint loose.

Reach4

Reaction score
I presume there is a threaded joint between the PVC and the pump. I would unscrew the string of pipe at that point, drag the thirty feet up on dry land and let things dry. If there are any joints that are suspect, cut out the coupling. Dress the ends of the pipe. Get new couplings. Prime both parts. Push hard and twist.

When you put the new coupling in place, have a helper or two who can help twist or at least push . One helper could be enough if the other end of the pipe was being pushed against something like a tree.

Maybe you would feel better with flex couplings that are held together with worm radiator clamps. Since there are some forces on this, you would probably want a Mission or Proflex coupling. Still. The glued PVC should have held if done right.

DonL

Reaction score
Give me a few, While I go get a Tree to push against.

Nice Reach.

DonL

Reaction score
What are my options now with joints coming loose underwater.? I am scared if I lift the pipe up enough to get the joint above water for the repair, I will break another joint loose.

You have to hold it or it will spit back out. It has a slight taper.

USA and China stuff Varies in size also.

Have Fun.

Bassadict69

Reaction score
I found a local place that sells flexible pvc for $1.50 per foot and I can buy as much as I need and it will all be one piece. He says they sell it all the time for irrigation systems like mine where a long intake pipe is needed since it is easier to handle when putting it out. When putting my pvc out, I had to get about 5 buddies to help support the pvc as we walked and swam it out into the lake! It was quite a sight!

The plumbing supply place said they have all the hose and the fittings for the hose to connect it to the pump and to the foot valve.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I would guest buy now that you have your problem solved. Id you used coupling be sure that they are for irrigation, not indoor plumbing. The irrigation coupling are longer and the PVC bell ends are even longer for more glue surface. And do not go cheap, you must use PVC primer & cleaner before gluing.

With any long run under water you need to support it maybe every twenty feet and not have the screened end touch the bottom.

Bassadict69

Reaction score
Not sure if the stuff I used was for irrigation or not, probably not since I bought it all from HD. Right now, everything is pushed back together and holding. I have decided since it is the end of the summer now, I will wait until spring and replace it with some flexible pvc pipe since I found someone locally that sells it by the foot.

Thanks everyone for the input!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
AFAIK flexible PVC is really low pressure rated. Depending on how the pump was setup it may never see pressure but I would use poly pipe.

DonL

Reaction score
Not sure if the stuff I used was for irrigation or not, probably not since I bought it all from HD. Right now, everything is pushed back together and holding. I have decided since it is the end of the summer now, I will wait until spring and replace it with some flexible pvc pipe since I found someone locally that sells it by the foot.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Some of that PVC tubing is only made to be under pressure.

If you use it on the intake of a pump it will collapse.

Like said above, PVC pipe will the Bell end / coupling built in would be a good choice.

Good Luck.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I put the glue on and let it melt the PVC a bit 30 seconds or so,

That is a good way to have bad joints. My joints are "glued together" in 30 seconds or less.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks