Softener appears to be working, but no soft water

Users who are viewing this thread

rkhanso

Reaction score
I did not take the top off of the resin tank. I shined a flashlight behind it and saw the level 7/8 or so full at one point. The lowest I saw it (guessing that it was actually the resin only) was a little over 1/2 full - again, just shining a flashlight from behind the resin tank to see the level. It never dropped below a little over 1/2 full.
I 'guessed' that when the level was higher, that water filled the area above the resin.

rkhanso

Reaction score
A funny thing, when I wanted to see if the brine was in the resin tank and did that test with shutting the bypass valve and putting back to service....I told my wife not to use any water -

but my son brushed his teeth at that time. He said "Dad, I think we have soft water now" - I had a good laugh.

rkhanso

Reaction score
Crud. Just found out the home protection plan we got when buying this house doesn't cover the water softener.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
A funny thing, when I wanted to see if the brine was in the resin tank and did that test with shutting the bypass valve and putting back to service....I told my wife not to use any water -

but my son brushed his teeth at that time. He said "Dad, I think we have soft water now" - I had a good laugh.

Nothing like having a son that sticks up for you.

Got to love that , I sure would...

rkhanso

Reaction score
I took the head off to see if the smaller o-ring at the top of the tube was shot. It's nice and round shaped. It seems a little 'dry,' but seems to seal OK. The large o-ring under the rotor/disc housing seems OK also.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Maybe your son is on to something. Check to make sure the softener is plumbed correctly and that since I think you may have the bypass valve on the control valve, you might have a manual 3 valve bypass in the plumbing, and there may be a valve not fully closed.

Also, I don't think you've mentioned cleaning the injector (they call it the venturi). Click the link below, then Soft Water, then Troubleshoot, then Clean Venturi.

http://kenmorewater.com/

rkhanso

Reaction score
Well, I did take the Venturi apart to replace the flat gasket/washer, as well as the 2 small o-rings where it pushes into the rotor/disc area. I did clean that all up.

The only bypass is the one on the softener that pushes left or right. I took that apart and the 4 o-rings in it are OK. I lubed them up and put it back together.

Tonight, I took the entire rotor/disc assembly apart to double-check the 0-rings and gaskets/plastic part I put in the other day. Everything looked great. I took the valve off of the resin tank to check the 2 o-rings under there and they seemed OK as well.

I put it back together and am running a couple regen-cycles before bed.

rkhanso

Reaction score
I gave it one last go - since my budget isn't letting me get a new softener yet.

I took the unit outside, dumped out the brine tank. Took the head off the resin tank and took the basket out. The resin seems OK. It's not much, it holds up when pinching it between my fingers. There's a lot of it in the tank. The black 1-inch or so tube down the center was clear of resin.

I put it all back together, took the valve apart and verified that there were no missing parts and that it was assembled correctly.

Ran a recharge and no soft water.

I ran another recharge and tested the water through the drain on the fast-rinse cycle and it was soft. This tells me that the softener is working, right?

I need to re-check the bypass valve to make sure the o-rings are OK?

DonL

Reaction score
It has been a long time since I tested resin, But that test you did proves nothing.

You can take some, recharge it in a Jar, then test to see if it is working.

I am no pro, But would like a Pro to correct me if I am wrong.

Good Luck.

rkhanso

Reaction score
I checked the bypass valve today. It is OK. all 4 o-rings are good.

I think my test of the fast-rinse drain water just verifies if the brine cycle works....if the salt water gets to the resin. I really don't believe it actually tests the resin, but just that there was soft water/brine in the resin tank.

I'm guessing it's the resin that's shot, even though it's not mush and still holds up when pinched.

rkhanso

Reaction score
Wait. It turns out I fixed this a month ago. I saw the brine draw problem and fixed that with the venturi parts.

After that, I kept testing the water at the kitchen sink, cold only...because I knew that the hot water would be hard yet from the water heater.

It turns out, that the kitchen cold water is plumbed into the outside faucet line and is not softened. I've been fighting a non-existing problem.

I should have:
  1. Followed the cold water lines to know what was softened and what wasn't.
  2. Tested the water from a bathroom faucet.
Sorry to bother everyone. Maybe I'm a better plumber than I thought? This was fixed a month ago.

DonL

Reaction score
Wait. It turns out I fixed this a month ago. I saw the brine draw problem and fixed that with the venturi parts.

After that, I kept testing the water at the kitchen sink, cold only...because I knew that the hot water would be hard yet from the water heater.

It turns out, that the kitchen cold water is plumbed into the outside faucet line and is not softened. I've been fighting a non-existing problem.

I should have:
Sorry to bother everyone. Maybe I'm a better plumber than I thought? This was fixed a month ago.

That is great.

I hate when that happens.

Just call the work you did Preventive Maintenance.

Enjoy

Reach4

Reaction score
I should have:
Thanks for the follow-up. It will put a smile on everybody's face.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks