Trap Primer Running Too Often?

Users who are viewing this thread

JamesS92

Reaction score
A while back I noticed a slight trickling water sound from where my HVAC and hot water heater live. I originally assumed it was condensation from the HVAC, but I noticed the sound again today and it turns out is is coming from a trap primer. The flow isn't strong, but I don't think it was always running like this. As far as I can tell, a small amount of water is constantly flowing through the trap primer (at least every time I check). Should I be alarmed?

A few more details that may be useful.
The water coming out is cold.
It still flows if I close the hot water heater valve.
It seems to stop flowing if I open any outside hose bib.
This heater in the basement of a 3-floor townhouse (feeds all 3 floors)
The hot water heater has a water expansion tank
House build around 2006

weMuskB.png

Reach4

Reaction score
No experience.... I would knock on the pressure tank to try to detect if it is full or empty. Empty is normal. I don't know if a failed pressure tank could cause what you see.

Looking at http://www.siouxchief.com/products/.../trap-primers/mechanical-primers/primeperfect I see they describe an activation. It would seem that it activated due to pressure changes on the input? Seems strange to me. That would seem to be an inconsistent activating event. But if that is how it activates, a failed pressure tank could increase activation events I guess.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It operates by a drop in system pressure, which has almost nothing to do with a pressure tank unless this is an a well. In any case it operates momentarily with a pressure drop, UNLESS it has a pressure adjustment and the system pressure has fallen below this point.

Reach4

Reaction score
It operates by a drop in system pressure, which has almost nothing to do with a pressure tank unless this is an a well. In any case it operates momentarily with a pressure drop, UNLESS it has a pressure adjustment and the system pressure has fallen below this point.

It seems to me that even one of those little tanks they use with check valve systems would reduce the number of 10 PSI pressure drops for small short uses. And it's not clear to me why a system using a PRV and a small pressure tank would have any significant pressure drops if the precharge were a few pounds less than the regulated value (although the precharge is normally set at the regulated pressure).

I guess they use this kind of thing as an alternative to a tiny orifice, which might be prone to clog.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They work okay in system with Sloan flush valves because they cause a large, immediate drop in pressure. There are few fixtures in a residence which open fast enough to create the needed pressure drop.

JamesS92

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.

I checked the pressure. It was low (around 35 to 40 psi), but I don't think low enough to trigger the trap primer constantly. I brought the pressure up to 50 psi and it just made more water flow through the primer.

I'm guessing the primer valve is busted somehow, allowing water to flow freely through it. Is that likely? Seems simple enough to replace if that's the case. I might try cleaning out the existing one first.

I notice the specs on that link Reach4 posted say "To help prevent sediment buildup, install a vertical loop that rises above the supply line tee." Mine is not installed that way, so maybe too much sediment caused the valve to fail.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks