My 29 year old Gerber has moved on...

Users who are viewing this thread

abtuser

Reaction score
I need a new toilet. I have Lowes or Menards to choose from. American Standard's from Lowes would work, and Menards has Mansfields and a few others.

Any help on my big choice?

Thanks in advance.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
How about none of the above. You are looking at a purchase that should not only last for many years, but perform flawlessly. Bargain basement toilets are mostly junk. The brand preferred by most of the users of this forum is Toto. They come in a number of models and the prices start reasonable and go up. Regardless of the model the performance is first rate. You won't find these at discount stores, but any plumbing supply can order one for you if you can't find a dealer in your area. You should know that Toto is the largest manufacturer of toilets in the world, so you're not looking for an unknown product.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If you're looking for a basic toilet that works well, in regular height, the Toto original Drake is a great choice. Great flush, well-made, easily-available repair parts. Model CST744E in the elongated version.

All toilets today are low-flow, and not all brands have a good flush or are well-made like they used to be.

Open the yellow pages to Plumbing Supply and call 5 of them once you decide on what model and color you want, and ask their price if you ordered today. Should be somewhere a little north of $200. You will get a wide variety of niceness (some places will be mean, others wonderful) and prices (some will be outrageous, some will be spot-on). At least one will be nice and have a good price. They might have it in stock, but if not they should be able to get it pretty fast from their wholesaler. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you're thinking Lowes, then perhaps a Kohler Wellworth or Highline. Also, American Standard Cadet 3
In some areas you have more choices. Though Gary did drive 75 miles to pick up product from me. :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually, my first Toto was the Dartmouth that I drove 280 miles round trip to get. The second Toto was the Drake that was 75 miles round trip. But, who's counting miles? I got two super toilets and had a couple of nice drives.

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with Terry. Cadet 3, Wellworth or Highline would be good. Gary, he did say that Lowes and Menards were his only options.

abtuser

Reaction score
I don't know, I think you all just made it harder with all the good rationale. :)

I've spent time on the forums so I do know that Toto is a favorite, but the only way I can get them is to order them online, but I've also seen here that there's been some quality issues with those ordered online.

Also, I've noticed Cadet Pro's (Terry) are a favorite, so I have considered the Cadet 3, as the pro's are for pro installers if I understand correctly. As for the Kohlers, I do like them too, but their mid-price toilet may be above my budget. Tough choices to make. I'm now more excited to go out a take a little more time to check out my options. Thanks all, and I'll check back...

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I agree with Terry. Cadet 3, Wellworth or Highline would be good. Gary, he did say that Lowes and Menards were his only options.

I'm pretty sure that if there's a population center with a Lowe's nearby, then there's a plumbing supply place where pros go to get stuff. We're telling him (1) that he can shop there, too; (2) how not to get ripped off; and (3) that they can usually get Toto even if they don't advertise that they have it. Also, sometimes the risks of other sales channels are sometimes worth it...

abtuser

Reaction score
I looked into Toto, and I'd prefer to stay closer to $200. What about the AS Champ 4's? I like their designs better than what I can get here in stock in the Cadet 3's. And, they're close enough to my budget that I can spend a little more.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
My sister and BIL like theirs. No problems.

Wait until the seal wears out on the stupid funnel-flush thingy. Then they'll be calling you asking why the thing keeps running. At least they didn't get the one with the tower-flush thingy that AS then made everyone disassemble their toilet to replace (or get a plumber at their own expense). Great engineering.

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
I looked into Toto, and I'd prefer to stay closer to $200. What about the AS Champ 4's? I like their designs better than what I can get here in stock in the Cadet 3's. And, they're close enough to my budget that I can spend a little more.
Get the AS. My parents have one, they love it. They installed it about 4-5 years ago, and unlike wjcandee said, they don't have any leaks. The flush is very powerful, yet very quiet. Also, they haven't had any clogs, and they have never had to flush twice.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go Kohler has something against Toto. AS is rapidly becoming a second rate company. Their quality control is awful. True when you do get a go one, it will work OK, but Toto still builds a better product without quality issues.

abtuser

Reaction score
You can get a Toto original Drake, CST744E or CST744S in white for about $200-ish.
Where would I get a Toto at that price? $270, for my local vendors.

lennyk

Reaction score
Non CEFIONTECT is $221

I got drake CEFIONTECT for $221 earlier this year
The next couple weeks, prices fluctuated between that and $330

abtuser

Reaction score
Okay, I found a Toto Drake within my budget. Let's hope the ~29 year old Mansfield in the basement can take up the slack.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Cool. If you wanted Universal Height, by the way (ADA Height), you could also look at the Toto Entrada, CST244EF, which has a good flush and is universal height in the same price range. Slightly different look. Not a lot of reviews on here of it, but those we have seen are good, and the guts of the tank look good. I can recommend the Drake unqualifiedly, however, as we have two.

abtuser

Reaction score
Toilet (Toto Drake) arrived today, now installed. A couple of install notes.

When I removed the old toilet, something was living down there. (kidding)

Good instructions, the toilet went together mostly okay.
Mostly, as it was difficult to get the tank to touch all three contact points. I had to disconnect and re-position it three times, third time was a charm.

Solid construction. Great mechanics and mechanical parts. (Confirms forum comments)

Flushes quite well, noisy fill. That may get better with more flushes, as it appears to be.

Had both wax and waxless rings. Used the waxless, and as I had to pull it and readjust a closet bolt, it appears to be a good choice. It went down all but 1/2 in., so it would have needed a larger ring, or stacked rings. I didn't buy the large wax ring, but it's clear the regular ring wouldn't have worked. Couldn't tell from the floor as the flange looked even with the floor. The waxless ring throat makes up the distance difference. The toilet itself sits solidly on the floor, no wobble. No leaks, so far.

May end up replacing the closet flange. One side is a little too rusty. It holds the closet bolt solidly, but I think it's time is coming.

I'll give it a couple of days and flushes, the put in a final note.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks