Replace Kohler canister type flush valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff D

Reaction score
I have had a toilet with this type of flush valve for about two years and I finally figured out the reason why I have been hearing it fill for a few seconds several times per day. I believe there is a slow leak. I don't think it is the valve seal because it has always done this. I would like to replace the entire valve with a standard flapper valve, but I don't know how to do this. I found a video that shows how to replace the valve seal, but I need to go to the next level and take the whole thing out. I can't find any videos anywhere. Help! It took me quite a while just to figure out what type of valve this is. I have Mansfield and flapper valves in my other toilets, and would like to put either type in this toilet.

k-3999_8.jpg

photo added by Terry Love

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Sounds like you do indeed have a slow leak. To confirm, mark the water level in the tank with a pencil, and turn off the water to it and leave it overnight. If the water level has dropped, it's a slow leak from the tank to bowl, most likely past the seal even if you don't think that's true. When you change the seal, hit the relevant surfaces with a little brillo and see if that doesn't clean up any burrs or other defects in the manufacturing of the valve that might cause the thing not to seal completely.

Korky makes a large 3" flush valve that can be used to replace the non-standard AS Champion and other large flush valves (like Toto's). However, Kohler intentionally designed its larger-flush-hole toilets to be even larger than 3", so the Korky won't fit it, nor will any other flapper solutions that I am aware of. Korky's box is careful to say that it doesn't fit ANY Kohler toilets.

Congratulations for buying a Kohler!!!!

The only thing you can do is get a new seal for the existing canister flush. Call Kohler and bitch, and maybe they'll send you a new canister valve for free. Or maybe they will charge you out the tuckus. 800-456-4537

And make your next toilet a Toto. Which has from the beginning used widely-available parts.

canister-seal-yellow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

williamp

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem a few months ago. I replaced the entire canister flush assembly with a Fluidmaster flush valve assembly. Read my post in this forum "kohler cimarron flush valve leak" for more info.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Whether this solution is viable or not will depend on whether the hole in the porcelain is 2 inches or whether it is larger...

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yes, this is it. I think if I had it to do over I would use Korky parts. I'm not having any trouble with the Fluidmaster but it seems that lots of folks here like Korky. That's the only reason.

A lot of plumbers swear by Fluidmaster, although so many use a basic Korky flapper when fixing any generic toilet. I like the Korky stuff because it's easy for me to install and fix.

The bottom line is this, though: You fixed your toilet. It works. You rid yourself of the canister. I think that's a job well done!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
First time I did this, the center part that the canister slides up and down on had broken at the top.
The local hardware store had this on the wall.

gp1229656.jpg

GP129656

The yellow part spins off and that allows the piston to come out. The top on the one I was working on had broken at the top, so the canister was coming up too high and getting stuck. Put the new part in, with a new yellow seal at the bottom and it was ready to go again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks