Clients "friend" did work- Need Tile advise Kitchen

Users who are viewing this thread

skydec

Reaction score
Okay A Clients "friend" told her he could do work cheaper than contractors I had quotes from. Apparently does this as side job. NOT his day job. So no licence, no insurance.... I supplied tile and Hardie board, Her walls have lots of movement _ leaky Condo originally. So he removed tile and has been replacing with her old Drywall in patches. Hardie board unused. Bent piece was I assume for return to window since there is matching piece (with huge gap @ top) other side. He was also to do tile, I have done tile before for her, but usually hire as I am shopping , refinishing some of her furniture and other things on this job. Ames , tile contractors suggested Hardie for 2 reasons - movement in walls and and fact that I have been wiping counter of water every day, I assume is from sprayer less than 1" from backsplash.
So after talking to him I have concerns: Return to window on opposite wall that was not square, I asked to fix he removed completely, will not put back.
Where do I end Tile, so design issue?
#1 I asked if he needed new blade for the glass I had one- Has no Idea he said what size blade his saw uses. #2 Had no Idea what rondec profile was #3 wanted to use thinset over Mud he has everywhere to cover patches. Will Priming these walls be enough???
He has also built her a new mantle n(before I got there for makeover) for replacement for a heavy new tv. Ledgestone was put up to old from above down to top from above. He removed NO rows of the China Multi ledgestone (still avalible @ Ames )- NOW ledgestone below on 1 side is A) no longer flush to walls. B) I have found bits of mortar on floor. People that have looked @ it, said looks like Lag bolts, is what was installed with.
I would have had it installed TV above mantle or steel rods for mantle.
He has told her he did reno for Architect in area so she assumes he is great, She of course wants done ASAP. which if he had not said anything all work would have been done. Of course I can not get tile guys -they are on new job. I did tell her my concerns.
Granville Peter (2).jpg

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Is that a bucket of mastic in the photo! Yuck.

Hardi Board will not help with movement.

Using scrap drywall is a green building in my book - I do it all the time.

I would have first prepped the area for tile. Used proper edging pieces. Coated the job tile area out with Ardex 8+9 or mapei's prim grip.

Then tile and grout.

You need better pictures or more of them.

skydec

Reaction score
Tell her your concerns and walk away. This may be a situation that you cannot win.
I keep getting asked by her ,when I am finishing my part, Cant Paint till I clean, cant clean until he is finished with drywall we are now on day 6- still not done. No clue why, my regular drywaller is horrified he used her 26 year old drywall - has no idea why he is taking so long either. Told him, Charges by the hour does not give estimates. Can't bring in her new art or furniture in either Art Canvas just got cleaned, he has drywall throughout entire condo. I have worked with this client several times, Love her. This would have been all done if she had just gone with one my regular contractors. Oh and they clean up and put barrier up for dust.
Is that a bucket of mastic in the photo! Yuck.

Hardi Board will not help with movement.

Using scrap drywall is a green building in my book - I do it all the time.

I would have first prepped the area for tile. Used proper edging pieces. Coated the job tile area out with Ardex 8+9 or mapei's prim grip.

Then tile and grout.

You need better pictures or more of them.

skydec

Reaction score
Granville After Peter install new Mantel with Lad bolts.JPG
Granville LR 2014 before.jpg
Granville Side view over install new mantel .JPG
This was my first look @ quality of his work He took off old mantle to make a larger one for her larger TV. Problem is ledgestone went right up to bottom and down to top of old. He did not remove any to get it in. TV is heavy mantel installed with lag bolts, I am told and was also told "he a a lot of trouble getting it shoved in" I am nervous with that TV there.

Jim Whipple wrote "Using scrap drywall is a green building in my book - I do it all the time."

Really you use 26 year old, drywall. 3 different paints on and primer that I know of ( yes I told him) I painted it over the years. Hardie was Also to be used

Decor Granville 2014.JPG

where needed because her faucet is less than 1" from backsplash and counter often has water sitting on it. There were areas of black on grout.
Would it also take you 6 days for 40 sq. ft of drywall.????? Rooms of drywall have not taken this long. Hardie is firmer than that drywall.

I keep getting asked by her ,when I am finishing my part, Cant Paint till I clean, cant clean until he is finished with drywall we are now on day 6- still not done. No clue why, my regular drywaller is horrified he used her 26 year old drywall - has no idea why he is taking so long either. Told him, Charges by the hour does not give estimates. Can't bring in her new art or furniture in either Art Canvas just got cleaned, he has drywall throughout entire condo. I have worked with this client several times, Love her. This would have been all done if she had just gone with one my regular contractors. Oh and they clean up and put barrier up for dust.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
....Whipple wrote "Using scrap drywall is a green building in my book - I do it all the time."

Really you use 26 year old, drywall. 3 different paints on and primer that I know of ( yes I told him) I painted it over the years. Hardie was Also to be used....

Of course there are exceptions. Often I remove large sheets of drywall that are in perfect condition. These I use for new drywall work sometimes. Temporary floor protection. Templates. Lots of things.

Nasty old drywall of that age may contain asbestos so that would be taken out to Langley for disposal.

skydec

Reaction score
Of course there are exceptions. Often I remove large sheets of drywall that are in perfect condition. These I use for new drywall work sometimes. Temporary floor protection. Templates. Lots of things.

Nasty old drywall of that age may contain asbestos so that would be taken out to Langley for disposal.

Also he was going to dump illegally - I said No way - Arranged for disposal. Also we are now on 7 days of sanding. for small galley kitchen. He was to do tile , install window ledge, Has made window 76" - larger for me, he said- I had told him I needed it to be 75 for new blind. He wanted to put tile on and ledge over tile, When I pointed out design of tile & if client wanted to change it? his answer was "why would you change tile?" uses phrase "it is good enough" all the time. Client has now had enough, realizes her mistake having me cancel people I had, who now I can not get, there is dust and drywall mud EVERYWHERE. So I have to have this project at her house done by August 8.
Ever tried to find someone on a long weekend and for next week???

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You've got a handyman not a pro and he's giving you handyman work. You get what you pay for...if you're luck. In this case, you may not get what you pay for.

skydec

Reaction score
You've got a handyman not a pro and he's giving you handyman work. You get what you pay for...if you're luck. In this case, you may not get what you pay for.
I told my client just that, Also told her it was time to get a real trade. He charges by the hour , No clue how much will not tell me- her friend she is paying him. 7 days and this is his finished work Can still see metal , which I said was not acceptable
Peter Dry wall finished mud granville.JPG

See Photo

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I told my client just that, Also told her it was time to get a real trade. He charges by the hour , No clue how much will not tell me- her friend she is paying him. 7 days and this is his finished work Can still see metal , which I said was not acceptable View attachment 25782 See Photo

Your first mistake was getting involved with this. Your second mistake is staying with it. Butt out and have a beer.

skydec

Reaction score
Update- Finally Client " let her friend go" After I said, as politely as possible, that had I (inside voice-lost my mind &) hired him, he would have been let go. Could not get who had originally wanted - busy, go figure. Hired someone else to fix and finish his "finished drywall" who was fantastic. I tiled over . Client ended up with delays and paying more $$ and then if she just went with people I wanted in first place. Old drywall her friend put up actually came away around outlets, plaster fell on counter overnight - So had to fix. While loading drywall pieces her friend did throw away , for disposal we noticed mold on some of it as well.

8claw

That sounds much better now. I guess that you have already fixed all your problems and can't wait to see a picture of the finished product.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks