Drilling into fiberglass surround ?

Users who are viewing this thread

hayley3

Reaction score
Do I need a special bit to drill into the shower surround. I don't want it to crack it if I don't have the correct bit.
I need to make two 5/8 inch holes to attach the slide bar.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
5/8" ?
Most any bit will do that on fiberglass.
A bigger worry is how it attaches to the fiberglass. It tends to be very thin and doesn't hole screws.

hayley3

Reaction score
It comes with toggles for no stud install. Do you think that will work?

The instructions say drill two 5/8 holes. Does that sound too big?

Thanks,
Cheryl

hayley3

Reaction score
Yes that must be it, cause the toggle is big...but the screw is 5/16 I bet cause they are having me drill a test hole of 5/16 to see if there's stud or not.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would certainly drill a small hole dead center of where the larger hole will go. It's easy for a large bit to wander when starting on a hard, smooth surface. It doesn't have to be 5/16", just a size somewhere close like 1/8" which might be more likely in your tool kit. Just a starter hole. And, don't force the 5/8" to help avoid chipping.

hayley3

Reaction score
Thanks Gary...great tip...I also saw someone use masking tape, so going to do that as well.

Cheryl

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks