Cleanout Cap Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Kesey

Reaction score
I received a letter from my city that my cleanout cap (6") needs to be repaired/replaced otherwise I face a fine. There's no cap/square part on top. I was told that it should be a simple fix, just unscrew it, and replace, however it appears to be more complicated. I don't see a seam on the top or any threads, and the whole thing doesn't unscrew. It's stuck firmly in the ground.

I know I must need something like this, but there is nowhere for me to attach this to the existing piece.

Here's what it looks like:

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

OffshorePlumber

Reaction score
There's pipe underneath the cap, ill bet money they dry fitted it on a piece of SDR-35.

And if its a city tap, why is it your problem?

Kesey

Reaction score
This is my cap, on my property. The city audited residential plumbing.

...how to fix?

OffshorePlumber

Reaction score
If they didn't glue it, which is doubtful. You'll have to work it back and forth until it comes up.

If they glued it, dig down around it. Cut the pipe below grade, install a coupling and short piece plus the new cap. It also may just be a sleeve over a 4"DWV clean out. If that's the case you've just got to dig it up and replace.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If that is a cap on top of a a6" riser, the city should have no reason to ask for a change. If it is a straight piece of pipe, you need a female adapter and a screwed plug, (and possibly an SDR to sch. 40 bushing if it is thin wall pipe). If it is a slip cap, then remove it and install the previously mentioned adapter and plug.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks