American Standard Champion 4 is poorly engineered and deceiving on specs

Users who are viewing this thread

John Stoneman

Reaction score
I purchased the first Champion 4 toilets manufactured by American Standard and These "12"-rough" toilets are not even close. They are 10" at best. I spoke to A.S. and the rep told me that that is a 12" rough toilet. Unless my Stanley 25' tape measure has been redesigned to a shorter lenght or I am seeing an "illusion", the back of the tank is 10" from center of horn to back of tank. A.S. says it's designed that way. If it's designed that way call it a 10" rough toilet not a 12. Unless you want your toilet in the middle of the room do not but a Champion 4.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The spec sheet on the basic Champion 4 right height shows 1.25" (plus or minus .25") between the back of the tank lid and the finished wall on a true 12" rough-in. For many toilets, that dimension is closer to .75". But relatively-few toilets fill the whole entire 12". Among other things, where there is a layer of tile added to the wall, or there's a baseboard, filling every bit of the 12" risks making the toilet impossible to install.

12" rough-in means only that it is designed by the manufacturer to fit properly and appropriately on a 12" rough-in, which is the distance from the finished wall to the centerline of the floor flange.

champion_ada_spec.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Claythrow

Reaction score
They are large, but I have one & love it. Specs did not come into play for me though, I had plenty of room to work with. If I bought one based off the specs & it was incorrect I would be peeved too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks