What can you tell me from this picture? Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
pix2.jpg
I presume you bought the house. I suspect the old owner would be glad to tell you what he knows. He tried already, but that is all a blur now. This time take careful notes.

Regarding how strong to mix up the pot perm, I hope the old owner will tell you that.

Regarding the 3 controllers, I suggest going through each of those, and write down the settings. To get a manual on the controllers, they look like the Clack WS-1. http://awsaustin.com/documents/Clack WS1_manual.pdf is one source of a manual, but somebody may have more info.

In your photo, I have labeled some items. Don't forget to empty the vac. I wish I had one of those.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Here are the results of my water test, any thoughts?

Sodium 26.90 mg/L 20.0 mg/L is Mass. DEP Guideline 250.0 mg/L

Potassium 3.46 mg/L A Component of Salt No Limit

Copper 0.01 mg/L Indicates Plumbing Corrosion 1.30 mg/L

Iron Not Detected Brown Stains, Bitter Taste 0.30 mg/L

Manganese Not Detected May Cause Laundry Staining 0.05 mg/L

Magnesium 0.38 mg/L A Component of Hardness No Limit

Calcium 1.25 mg/L A Component of Hardness No Limit

pH 6.94 SU Acid/Basic Determination 6.5 - 8.5 SU

Conductivity 594.0 umhos Electrical Resistance (umhos/cm) No Limit

T.D.S. 356.4 mg/L Total Dissolved Minerals Present 500.0 mg/L

Alkalinity 57.5 mg/L Ability to Neutralize acid No Limit

Chloride 173.48 mg/L A component of salt 250.0 mg/L

Hardness 4.7 mg/L 0 - 75 is considered soft No Limit

Was this the output of your RO system? I understand it is after your two softeners and your greensand (or whatever it is) filter F1. I am wondering why you don't show more sodium.

In the piping, I presume S1, S2, and F3 are in series. What order?

BostonBull

Reaction score
View attachment 25741 I presume you bought the house. I suspect the old owner would be glad to tell you what he knows. He tried already, but that is all a blur now. This time take careful notes.

Regarding how strong to mix up the pot perm, I hope the old owner will tell you that.

Regarding the 3 controllers, I suggest going through each of those, and write down the settings. To get a manual on the controllers, they look like the Clack WS-1. http://awsaustin.com/documents/Clack WS1_manual.pdf is one source of a manual, but somebody may have more info.

In your photo, I have labeled some items. Don't forget to empty the vac. I wish I had one of those.

If I had a cooperative old owner, I wouldnt be here. :)

Trying to gain as much knowledge as I can and now kill the kids at the same time.

I have the controller manuals here. The timers all seem to be roughly one minute apart.....old owners said he just added blue bags of salt, and bought pot perm at home depot and dumped it in. Is it that easy? Doesnt seem like they were very up to speed on the system, LOL

BostonBull

Reaction score
Was this the output of your RO system? I understand it is after your two softeners and your greensand (or whatever it is) filter F1. I am wondering why you don't show more sodium.

In the piping, I presume S1, S2, and F3 are in series. What order?

No, this is output from a faucet that the RO is not hooked up to. Just all the softening equipment.

One of the brine tanks was EMPTY when i moved in, might have been when the home inspector took the samples too?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
That single filter housing on the ceiling of the basement may not be an RO. It may be nothing more than a carbon filter. Two softeners does not make sense, especially with a filter between them. The first one may be an anion resin 'filter' for nitrates etc., then the PP regenerated filter and then a softener.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
That would be my guess also.. You still in Florida Gary or have you headed back west?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks