Pump Wire Short

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt Elliott

Reaction score
I live in Maine, and a couple of years ago, one winter, my well pump wire had a short in it and it eventually burned out my pump. I had a professional pull the pump and replace it, and put a temp power line in an inner duct and lay it on my driveway. I would like to get it back underground. I have dug a trench from my house to the well location. I found a large piece of foam on the bottom of my trench. I am wondering if I can just drill a hole in the PVC pipe that is under ground and run a conduit into the hole to run mu wire underground. I have not pulled the temporary above ground well extension. My well cap is supposed to be flush to the ground because it is right next to my driveway.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I live in Maine, and a couple of years ago, one winter, my well pump wire had a short in it and it eventually burned out my pump. I had a professional pull the pump and replace it, and put a temp power line in an inner duct and lay it on my driveway. I would like to get it back underground. I have dug a trench from my house to the well location. I found a large piece of foam on the bottom of my trench. I am wondering if I can just drill a hole in the PVC pipe that is under ground and run a conduit into the hole to run mu wire underground. I have not pulled the temporary above ground well extension. My well cap is supposed to be flush to the ground because it is right next to my driveway.

If you are talking about the PVC well casing, DO NOT drill a hole in it under ground level. It is bad enough that your well casing doesn't stick up a foot or 18" as is code in most states.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your well is next to the driveway?

What type of well cap is installed?

You can run the wire through the casing using a wire spud or another pitless adapter, but you need to be sure the spud is properly installed & the conduit is properly sealed and connected to the spud in order to prevent contamination.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can run the wire through the casing using a wire spud or another pitless adapter, but you need to be sure the spud is properly installed & the conduit is properly sealed and connected to the spud in order to prevent contamination.

Using a pitless to run the wire through is a good idea. I am not sure conduit is good enough to connect to the pitless. I would use regular sch 40 or something.

But even if you do this I would extend the casing and add some crash poles.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I should have been more specific, we almost always use 125 psi poly for conduit except in the few towns where Carlon is required.

The way the ground moves around here due to freezing & thawing, I wouldn't use PVC or Carlon, Except if it was buried 4'

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks