What is the shortcut in siphon (CST744EL)

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber'sSon

Reaction score
Hi experts,

I have not seen this short 'pipe' connecting two siphon branches anywhere else.
What is it for?

Thanks

cst244ef_pic_05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber'sSon

Reaction score
Oops, I think the picture just changed. Probably I sent the link rather than the picture.
Trying again (the real one)

cst744_son.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber'sSon

Reaction score
Sorry Terry,

I did not know I violated some rules.
This was the only picture I found that showed my toilet with this short 'pipe'.

What is your opinion on Danco Perfect Seal?
My flange is not level. It is about 1 / 8 '' (or little bit more) below the tiles on the back and about 1 / 8 '' (or little bit more) above the tiles on front. The toilet I am replacing had a leak, so I am wondering what kind of seal should I use now to be safe.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A wax seal, maybe a jumbo, should work fine. Keep in mind, though, that ANY rocking of the toilet after it is set will likely break the wax seal - you MUST shim the toilet so it doesn't rock when you set it onto the wax. The wax is NOT springy, and if it rocks one way, compressing the wax, when it rocks back the other, you'll now have a gap that can leak. WHen you set the toilet, you should be able to feel the wax being compressed...if you don't, you may need a thicker wax ring or to fix the flange's position.

SamC

Reaction score
Here are some pictures from American Standard bowls.

trapway_casting.jpg

American Standard Plebe

trapway_casting2.jpg

American Standard bowl

A look into the bowl of any of these confirms that there is no opening where these tubes connect at the beginning of the trapway. Could they be there for structural support of the wet clay while it's being fired?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks