3/4" Copper UNION - Use Teflon Tape or Pipe Dope?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
3/4" Copper UNION - Use Teflon Tape or Pipe Dope (after sweating the two ends)? Or do you just tighten the nuts. Thanks!

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
The threads on a union play no part whatever in the sealing function, they are there solely to enable the sealing surfaces
to be pulled tightly together. No dope, no tape, no nuttin'.

Reactions: SHR

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Although nothing is required on ANY part of a union joint, I like a little non-setting paste like Great White, both on the threads and very lightly on the mating surfaces, just as a lube and protector. It works for me! Many will suggest a little coating of light oil.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
The threads on a union play no part whatever in the sealing function, they are there solely to enable the sealing surfaces
to be pulled tightly together. No dope, no tape, no nuttin'.

Pipe dope on the threads would be used as just a lubricant. Not to seal anything.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pipe dope on the two mating faces will compensate for any minor irregularities. On the threads it helps them tighten easier. Putting it on the surfaces BEFORE soldering, makes them "dirty" so the solder does not adhere to the brass, which helps in a vertical installation.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
lee_01.jpg

These are 1/2" unions for American Standard tub valves. They didn't seal dry. Rectorseal 5 on the face and threads worked.
hj, I remembered your advice on this one.

lee_02.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
An 18" pipe wrench might be a helpful accessory.

The day I need an 18" wrench on 1/2" pipe, I'll let you know.
My biggest worry on those things is stripping the brass theads completly off.
Which I have done on 3/4 unions.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I had a 1" sweat union I installed about 2 weeks ago, and I DID use an 18" wrench to tighten it. Last night the customer called and said it was leaking. It had loosened somehow and even though I tightened it at least one more turn it would not stop dripping so I took it apart and put pipe dope on the faces and tightened it again WITH an 18" wrench.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was more worried about the nut cracking from the pressure. If it happens again I will put an "O" ring between the pieces.
I had a 1" sweat union I installed about 2 weeks ago, and I DID use an 18" wrench to tighten it. Last night the customer called and said it was leaking. It had loosened somehow and even though I tightened it at least one more turn it would not stop dripping so I took it apart and put pipe dope on the faces and tightened it again WITH an 18" wrench.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like my gun went off half cocked, trying to post a comment.

Anyway, I bought a 24" aluminum pipe wrench maybe a year ago. I got it for one reason and one reason only:
it was half price. I bring it out maybe once a month and I'll tell you what, when I put it on something it moves.

I'm with the woot tranny on this one. A big wrench can make all the difference in the right place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks