Ikea Braviken Sink - Need Specailized Plumbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score

The OP asked about a different strainer, a closer match to his faucet.
("... use a different strainer to match the finish")
He could have that strainer replated.

He seemed to confuse the metal strainer with the word "drain"
".... find a drain that will fit with the ikea pvc..." and
"... interested in replacing the drain outright..." and
"... looking for a replacement drain with a similar configuration to the Ikea setup, or a way to build something that will work..."

I think the first response he got took the thread into sterile territory.
Tons of other responses scorned the setup.
They didn't respond to his need for a metal strainer.
BUT the OP was dumb to go and explain the whole setup if he only wanted a strainer.
.... a huge fullsize drawer. The kit comes with... pvc plumbing ... the drain does not ... drop into the vanity. This feat is accomplished with a specialized drain strainer and tight 90 degree elbow).

He said "This feat is accomplished with a specialized drain strainer "
Actually no, the feat is accomplished with a tight elbow.
The strainer sits on top.

--

An elbow under the sink drain takes the sink's waste water to the back wall, instead of the normal way of letting waste water drop in a straight line down the the P trap positioned in space directly underneath the sink drain. So, the tight elbow replaces what people normally see, a straight pipe known as the sink drain tailpiece.

Then, when that pipe reaches the wall (and if memory serves), the Ikea setup has a few connections there, for the overflow to connect in, and maybe another inlet. This is a good thing. It allows "venting" so that drain water, when moving forward, displaces air of equal volume. This allows the drain to flow well. Then, the drain pipe goes downhill, to the P trap.

The venting referred to here is not the venting that comes after the P trap.
Good to know whenever you talk to others, or write about plumbing.
After the P trap it is DWV venting, which has sewer gases and is dangerous.
Prior to the P trap, "venting" is regular air being displaced to help the drain water get moving.
(Some sinks without overflows drain slowly. This is why.)

1/
The first elbow under a drain can be a tight turn. A closet elbow and a tub shoe, under toilets and bathtubs, are tight turns. This is code.

In the case here, it allows you to put the P trap somewhere OTHER than "directly underneath the sink drain" straight down. ADA wheelchair access plumbing is like this. If you are in a wheelchair, you wheel up to the counter and do not have to maneuver around a P trap banging into your knees. The P trap is somewhere else. The same principle allows you to have a drawer under your drain in this case.

2/
If anyone objects, read this nest statement: people have it drummed into them that a P trap must be positioned in space directly underneath the sink drain. This is false information. I've discussed this subject in this forum before. This is one of the few minor mistakes that Master Plumbers make sometimes.

3/
Hope this helps explain Godmorgon and Braviken plumbing.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Take it back and buy one of those bathroom lights with a single three prong receptacle in them!

Long live IKEA!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Ikea lav top installed.

ikea_lav_1.jpg

ikea_lav_2.jpg

ikea_lav_3.jpg

ikea_lav_4.jpg

ikea_lav_5.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ikea_lav_6.jpg

A better shot of the drain connections.
You have 4" between the wall and the back of the drawer to work with.

ikea-p-trap.jpg

Added 8/30/2017

Last edited:

SHR

Reaction score
Not junk. I often install these type of IKEA sink drains with IKEA faucets too. I really like them. The plastic is heavy duty and as noted by Terry you gain alot of space for a drawer in the cabinet. Every time I get a call to install these set-ups the customer had tried to do the install themselves but because the design is so foreign to us in the USA they could not figure it out. Once you figure them out they are a piece of cake to install.

Note that most of the IKEA vanities come with 1 1/4" compatible p-traps BUT some (including one I installed last week) have 1 1/2" compatible traps. So I recommend using an 1 1/2" trap adapter and use a reducing slip joint washer if you need 1 1/4".

Snapplez

Reaction score
Website
www.bleps.com
It's been five years since the pair of IKEA BRAVIKEN were installed. I ended up using the drain system as provided by IKEA. Everything continues to work fine - no drips - cracks - flooding or horrible odors. IKEA still sells this line of sinks but has updated the RINNEN drain slightly.

I admit to cleaning one of the horizontal pipes by detaching it scrubbing the inside - but this only took a few minutes and the part looks new again. No other special maintenance or handling during the five years.

I was never able to find a non-IKEA strainer that would match this system.

halekane-22.jpg

halekane-26.jpg

Fritz-the-cat

Fritz the Water Guru
Reaction score
seeking same Hack set up for kitchen sink . is there a 1 1/2" tub shoe or Ikea shoe (sharp 90) that can install for a kitchen sink, and place P-Trap at wall to creat under-sink space? ADA compliance is also a goal on this project. Shallow sink basket required. However, this depth may be too shalllow for any available kitchen sink basket. All tubshoes I viewed would not connect to basket without space gobbling adapters.

Big Willy

Reaction score
This is my non-pro opinion...

It appears that either there's a drum trap at that 90 at the back, or that it is designed for p-trap down lower. This means that that horizontal section will accumulate hair, soap scum, etc. and be above the trap, so therefore can start to smell nasty. There's a reason the p-trap is directly under the drain.
I'd measure the sink drain hole opening and find some kind of pipe attatchment for it..even a no hub cupling right below the drain hole to some standard PVC/ABS would work.

I dont think any plumber would ever recommend that pipe system for the sink. I dont know how ikea gets away with selling that crap without a trap in it.

I've attatched a pic on what it could look like if you use the vertical branch and part of the horizontal run, just adding a trap before it all.

That drain hole is really the only problem I see here especially because it is from ikea and will be metric sized everything.

If you dont have a trap, you're gonna smell crap!!
I’ve installed tons of these for people and never had any trouble, the trap doesn’t need to be directly below the hole in the sink! Traps are located against the wall quite often and function as designed. All their plumbing matches up to standard 1-1/4” with compression fitting. Tidy and free of problems when installed properly. NO Smell!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks