Trouble with caulk after remodel.

Users who are viewing this thread

snowmonkeyvt

Reaction score
Hello,

I pulled out a shower surround and pan in early march and installed a one piece surround, and bathtub. We used caulk to seal the line between the tub and surround, but after about two months the caulk began to separate from the wall. This seemed odd, so we pulled it all out, recaulked the joint about three weeks ago, and now spots have appeared around the line where the caulk seems to be bubbling and liquifying. I'm not sure if we're doing something wrong, or if there is more information I need to do a good caulking job, but obviously I need to get the seal finished, and properly. I know that caulk needs to be replaced every once in a while, but every few weeks seems just plain crazy.

I did use kitchen and bath caulk both times, the second time, it was probably a lower quality. Should I rough the surfaces of the surround with sand paper before applying to give a better surface for bonding? Any help greatly appreciated.

Also side question, is it legit to use grout in this case? Some things I have read are that grout is fine, others say it is porous and will just send water right through the joint anyway.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
mask both sides of the seam with masking tape, leaving a gap the size of the grout bead you want. Then use a silicone caulk. Strike the bead and then remove the masking tape to get a smooth permanent joint.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Sounds like really crappy chaulk. I bet you used a water based low quality chaulk that was 2-3 years old.

The best silicone by my account is the GE I or GE II brand. Kitchen and Bath (Non three hour version). HJ's tip is a good one. I would add that you should just do one wall at a time. Perhaps the long wall in the morning and then the short walls that night.

You need to get all the old stuff out. They make liquid removers to help with this step.

A chaulk joint should be 1 - 1.5 times as deep as it is wide.

I also fear that perhaps you are getting water in behind your panels and this is escalating the problem. Any way for you the check the wall substrate from the other side of the wall?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
This shower shows some careful prep work for the Painters tape. Blue in this photo.

tape-caulk-joints.jpg

Make sure the tape comes off right away after the process.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks