Old garbage disposer removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Giwatcher

Reaction score
My Kitchenaid garbage disposer unit is 30 yo and has an old style 3 screw under sink mount with 2 tabs that pivot over a lip. It is not the newer style rotating ring, and an old school plumber has probably seen this mount. To disconnect, am I supposed to loosen the screws and pivot the tabs with a screwdriver, or push up on the housing to create enough slack to pivot the tabs?

Giwatcher

Reaction score
Thanks. Have you seen this mount before? Is the loosening of screws what allows to push the unit up to release tension on the tabs?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They still use a variation of that mount. The "twist and lock" is strictly an Insinkerator mount. Since it is patented the only ones who can use are disposers made by ISE regardless of the brand on the disposer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would have to see a picture because we do not see many Waste Kings here, but the 3 screws should hold the mount in the sink, but the disposer should have a separate mount, such as a hose clamp.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks