Kitchen Sink Rearrange plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Docbrown25

Reaction score
Hello - I'm having new counters and an undermount sink installed later this week. I thought I would just be shortening my drain pipes a little bit to account for the deeper sink, however the wife informed me she would like the the garbage disposal moved from the right side to the left. The issue is that the drain into the wall is on the left side.

Attached is a pic of the current setup. Can i Simply use a 45 connector coming out of the wall to make the connection to the right sink? Also, not sure if there will be any interference with the hot water supply line.

Any other pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 423

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can 45 from the wall for that. The trap has some swing on it, which helps at times.
And I see that you are low enough for a deeper sink. :)

Docbrown25

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! Really appreciate all the help I've gotten from the forum.

I did have another related question. Currently, (i know its a little hard to see in the pic), coming out of the wall there appears to be a male adapter connected to the pvc. Then the chrome tail pipe going into it with a chrome nut screwed to the adapter. (hope i explained correctly. i can take better pics tonight if not)

My question is can I make my 45 connection work with this threaded adpater/connector in place? Should I come straight out of the wall for a few inches then 45? Or do i need to cut that off, (makes me nervous to shorten what little is there) and then just glue my 45 to pvc coming out of the wall?

keep in mind. I really don't know what I'm doing, ha.

Thanks again!

Docbrown25

Reaction score
Here is a pic of what it looks like coming out of the wall from a top view.

What type of connection do i want to make to do the 45 connection?
Will I be a able to find a 45 that can screw right to the adapter that is currently there?
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 330

PlumberJeff

Mister Plumber
Reaction score
Here is a pic of what it looks like coming out of the wall from a top view.

What type of connection do i want to make to do the 45 connection?
Will I be a able to find a 45 that can screw right to the adapter that is currently there?
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

You can glue a Female adapter onto the trap adapter that's there (primer and glue the threads, then screw it on) and glue a street 45 or street 60 into that. You can get the line a lot further back by cutting it off right behind the existing adapter and gluing a 45 or 60 on it. I would wait until the sink's in, and then mock it up to see what works best for you. No problem cutting off the 1 1/2" PVC, just go slow and be accurate with the cut.

Docbrown25

Reaction score
You can glue a Female adapter onto the trap adapter that's there (primer and glue the threads, then screw it on) and glue a street 45 or street 60 into that. You can get the line a lot further back by cutting it off right behind the existing adapter and gluing a 45 or 60 on it. I would wait until the sink's in, and then mock it up to see what works best for you. No problem cutting off the 1 1/2" PVC, just go slow and be accurate with the cut.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'd like to keep the line where it is, b/c if i move it back, the 45 might hit one of the supply lines.
Last question, (i think), i'm confused what my connection will be like from the chrome tailpiece to the 45? Is there another adapter I need on the other end of the 45?

thanks for the patience, trying to learn this stuff...

PlumberJeff

Mister Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I think I'd like to keep the line where it is, b/c if i move it back, the 45 might hit one of the supply lines.
Last question, (i think), i'm confused what my connection will be like from the chrome tailpiece to the 45? Is there another adapter I need on the other end of the 45?

thanks for the patience, trying to learn this stuff...

It doesn't matter if it hits the hot supply pipe, as long as it's not bending it, but as I said above, mock it up and see what works best. Stick a 6" piece of pipe in a 45, and hold it up below the existing drain with the end of the fitting 1" towards the wall from the back of the adapter that's there now. Likewise you can put the other option together (not glued yet) and see where each one gets you - you must have it so your target is well within reach of the swing of the trap. And yes, you will need a new trap adapter on the end for the connection. If you pick up a new PVC trap (preferred) they usually include a new trap adapter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks