Best Drain Choice for a Solid Stone Shower Base (Made in Indonesia)

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Five+Inch+Drain+cut+out.jpg

Solid+Stone+Shower+Base.jpg

Ok - another tuff question for the day. I looked at this job tonight and it has a solid stone slab (one piece) and the shower slope and drain prep has been machined into it. The shower has no resin backing and no drain.

No instructions.

No Warranty.

Of course I said it would be easy to install.... lol What type of drain would work best with the milled opening. Roughly 1/4" deep and just a hair wider than 5"

Please god don't let the Kerdi Salesman Chime in and tell us something he learned a minute ago. It would be great to here from Terry, Roberto or Counter Balance on this bad boy. It might be some kind of soapstone ???

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Anyone?

I send and email out to the Brass at OS&B. Hoping Bob knows something. Had a nice chat with him yesterday and he is going to send me out one of those new freestanding tub drain thingings that I missed the Product Training Class on.

Tells me that they are working on a flange adapter for it as well so it can be tied into NobleSeal CIS or NobleSeal TS for large barrier free showers.

I like a lot of the OS&B stuff. Especially their cheap ABS clamping drain. Works perfect for my ACO linear shower drain installs tight to the wall! Ssssh don't tell ACO

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Just adding ........ Those small drainage channels -- rough stone -- could benefit a treatment of enhancer sealer . It will make the water slide of them and clean up an easy task .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
That Wedi drain does look like a winner. Do you know off the top of your head what the drain grate looks like and how wide the grate is. I'm looking for 5" ideally.

Roberto that Kohler drain is just 4 3/8" wide... Thanks though

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Did not find the size of the Wedi Drain anywhere online but notice that all the covers are square... I need a round one. 5" O.D.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
The wedi is a 4" strainer and square.......and a strange system. it actually is a floating strainer body & grate that gets set in the grout itself if it is not on the adapter extention its is just set in the grout and resting on the pans divot edges.

Could you use the Wedi "type" connection ( their wedi drain kit comes with a larger bottom flange gasket and nut that may be a good support under that pan ).........and customize say a zurn 5" grate to fit????

Thats a tough one. 5"

5" zurn ( i realize it has screws and a body??)

http://97.74.40.139/shop/item.aspx?itemid=440

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
John ,
If I could make a custom linear grate , I am pretty sure you can just make a cover grate -- 5'' -- which can fit any type of the existing receptors drains . You can design a JFW on the cover grate , a nice one .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Nice Roberto. I think the plan is this.

Just pretend that the stone is waterproof.

Plan that it is not.

NobleSeal CIS the bottom of the subfloor. Set the stone base to it with Ardex 8+9.

Jerry rig a drain to the CIS.

Later ad in something like you show overtop as a grate so it looks nice.

Going to hit EMCO and B&G on Monday for any more inspiration. One thing that I like about this pickle I'm in on this job is that there will be no city inspectors looking over my shoulder.

Time to go

Cowboy-throwing-lasso-010.jpg

CowBoy.

The other option is for them to maybe return the stone to Indonesia and just waste the $1,000.00. Like that is going to happen.

We have a dream environment that the showers drain (bottom side ) is inside the front hall closet. We will be able to monitor the connection and check for leaks.

Maybe I could install the Hydro Ban Bonding Flange over the drain location. Tie in my NobleSeal CIS to that.....

hmmm

Jerry Rig that sexy round drain you found in the open position and silicone the bitch over top!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Just adding ........ Those small drainage channels -- rough stone -- could benefit a treatment of enhancer sealer . It will make the water slide of them and clean up an easy task .

Roberto it looks like there is all ready some kind of sealer on this shower base. I flipped it yesterday and preped for some NobleSeal CIS. Used my diamond scouring brick and could "Feel" a resin of sorts. Gave the underside a good scrubbing to remove the filth that was stuck to the bottom.

Had to clean the back side six times (30 minutes of work) before I had a clean rag. Can you say bond breaker?

Once clean and air dried. I tapped the edges and gave it a burn coat of Ardex 8+9. Today I'll install the NobleSeal CIS to the base with more Ardex 8+9. Going to Jerry Rig and OS&B 2" ABS clamping drain to the bottom. I'm just not going to use the clamping top and bolts.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
A few pictures of the work yesterday from my blog post.

More photos here

This shower base is a beast. Easy 300 pounds I think.

More photos here

Cleaned of the factory seconds off the bottom with that brick.

More photos here

Nicely roughed up.

More photos here

Not one bucket. Not two. Not three. Or four, five but six buckets of water before the bottom was clean.

More photos here

Once dry the Ardex 8+9 went on - first coat....

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Did you make a water test on the pan ? If the drainage channels change color -- darken -- when wet , it means that no sealer is present . The use of the enhancer was only for the channels -- bring them to look the same as the honned stone -- , then seal them with a good sealer -- not an enhancer -- so the stone stays as is -- color wise -- .

Maybe the stone will also benefit from 8+9 on the vertical sides -- exterior ones -- which are hidden . ;)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Did you make a water test on the pan ? If the drainage channels change color -- darken -- when wet , it means that no sealer is present . The use of the enhancer was only for the channels -- bring them to look the same as the honned stone -- , then seal them with a good sealer -- not an enhancer -- so the stone stays as is -- color wise -- .

Maybe the stone will also benefit from 8+9 on the vertical sides -- exterior ones -- which are hidden . ;)

I did not water test the top side of the pan. Look at the other pictures Roberto. I check that the back side was absorbing some liquid. Before I used the 8+9.

I worry that the sides will not accept the 8+9 very well. I'm going to set those with NobleSealant 150 I think and a tiny V-Notch trowel. I might even skip sealing them the the sides anyway. The base goes in tight to the framing. I might eat away a little wood - tape with Mapeiband and then set the NobleSeal CIS to the sides with 8+9 (outside not inside).... Crazy I know.

I'm going to do a shear test on the side before I go forward. Look for any reaction from the NobleSealant 150 or 8+9 before touching the finished sides.

In un-charted territory here!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Found an American Supplier of Stone Shower Bases.

Interesting conversation with their sales girl.

Take a look.

Screen+Shot+2014-07-15+at+8.20.08+AM.png

Screen Shot of the email they just sent me.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks