On/Off option for the domestic water part of hydronic system ?

Users who are viewing this thread

GG_Mass

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an ultimate, oil fired, cast iron, with two heating zones and one zone for domestic hot water.

During the day, we, like many families, are out of the house, for some time . During this time, obviously, the domestic hot water is being kept at the temp set by the aquastat . I see it as a bit of a waste, if there are options to have it shut down.
I placed a recording device near the Boiler area and came to understand that the domestic water uses the system for 35 minutes of run time, each day, during the hours that there's no one at home. . (This was during summer-time, no heating was needed).
Which leads me to:
Is there an option, to add a switch (or any on/off mechanism), into my system ? Which, will completely disable the domestic hot water system, and will enable it only when set to "on" ? I do not mind flipping such a switch twice a day, if it enables to to achieve my goal, of not having the domestic water being kept to high temp, while no one needs it.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20130908_200549.jpg
    20130908_200549.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 325

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Couple of options.

Shut the emergency switch off...least expensive
Install a timer after the aquastat
Install an indirect water heater

GG_Mass

Reaction score
Couple of options.

Shut the emergency switch off...least expensive
Install a timer after the aquastat
Install an indirect water heater

Okay, it is doable them. That's very good to know.
I assume the emergency switch is the one to the left , correct ? (pretty sure it is, but, I don't want to be "smart" and then find that I'm very wrong, not in HVAC..)
Are there any cons to just using the emergency switch ? besides the obvious one of going down to the basement each time, etc. ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A good indirect can have as little as 1/4-degree/hour temperature loss in a standby situation. So, once you get that tank of water heated up, depending on the cut-in temp on the tank, you could easily go a couple of days before the boiler would need to turn back on with no use, at least if the area was somewhat warm and not drafty. Some boilers, not all, can be successfully cold started, which is great for summer and indirect WH heating. Some would require a minimum temp, that generally could be lower than that required with an internal tank or tankless system, and only go to full fire when there's a call for heat. Many of the newest boilers are designed for cold starts, at least those that run on gas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks