Recent content by yumbrad

1. yumbrad

Plumbing fundamentals / theory book?

Great find, I will check that out tomorrow. Post your impression when you get it!
  2. yumbrad

Eastern Washington/north western Idaho is an area I'd like to live/farm in. Perhaps someday, lots of ties here via my wife... Have a great trip to India. I bet it'll make you feel fortunate to have visited and fortunate to live where you do. Indeed our plumbing infrastructure and techniques...
  3. yumbrad

LOL hj. You're probably right, although you may underestimate my capacity to be fascinated by detailed, well written theory I *hope* to apply someday. (I've read a lot of farming theory and philosophy and still live in the suburbs).
  4. yumbrad

I did search the forum (good search is "book" in titles only), but didn't find what I'm looking for. I'd love a good book a step back from "how-to" - about the fundamentals of plumbing. The terminology, the physics of water flows and vacuums created, the mechanics of washers, gaskets, pipes...
  5. yumbrad

Trap for very narrow "hand rinse basin"

Well, it seems to have worked! The first time I tightened things up, I got a little leak from where the sink mates with the drain gasket - I had a thicker gasket so I used that and tried not tightening it down so hard. That seems to have solved that. None of the sections I thought might leak...
  6. yumbrad

I'm a little confused, as I thought that's what I did - well the part about using a drain fitting with a threaded outlet anyway. The drain fitting does have a threaded outlet, but it isn't long enough - the bottle trap screwed on to it is well above the dwv. Do you mean pick a drain fitting that...
  7. yumbrad

First obstacle - inlet pipe of bottle trap was not long enough to get trap level with DWV. It's 1.25" flanged chromed brass, 6" long as supplied in trap. 1.5" is very commonly available, 1.25" *not* very common. Found a couple though, ordered this 12" one:... now to wait again :)
  8. yumbrad

Ok, thanks. I ordered this upc approved trap, as it was the narrowest I could find. Gonna be a tight fit if it works! http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/1b/1b727e92-2418-4dde-9ae6-1047817f75f9.pdf
  9. yumbrad

Ok thanks, I'll order a bottle trap and give it a try. Should I put anything on the threads of the brass adapter that screws into the cast iron in the wall?
  10. yumbrad

I'm trying to do the drain for a "Porcher Elfe" no-overflow sink. This is a very narrow sink (for our very narrow half bath) - the drain hole center is 3.5" away from the wall. I first removed the chromed brass wall piece that stuck out quite a way - thanks to searching and reading previous...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks