Recent content by yarrow

1. yarrow

Sweet smell coming off of baseboard heaters

hi guys -- i realized i never came back to give an update, so thought i'd at least drop you a line (ok, well more like 30+ lines). ;-) at first the management company to property insisted that there were no additives -- glycol or otherwise -- in the boiler system. after much emailing back...
  2. yarrow

"Dead" chimney with oil furnace

sweating or more properly condensation, which is acidic and can degrade the chimney with time. exactly A newer more efficient unit will release COLDER flue gases in the chimney which can cause draft issues. there is no cooking of any sort taking place. hmm. i had been told otherwise...
  3. yarrow

"Dead" chimney with oil furnace

Your problem is that you now have a much better/more efficient system. the new furnace burns hotter/cleaner, which then releases much hotter gases into the chimney, which then react with the soot/creosote buildup from the previous less efficient furnace. it's basically cooking the residual...
  4. yarrow

congratulations on the 3 years! wonderful news. :) no chemos or surgery in my case - i refused treatment - they called it stage I hodgkins, but i suspect it was environmental issues masquerading as hodgkins. i was able to get rid of the symptoms on my own by figuring out the cause/removing...
  5. yarrow

cat piss/markings are very distinct odors. trust me, cat piss or marking odors are anything but chemical sweet. also, both cats in the building are neutered (mine is 15 yrs old, neutered since kitten, never sprays). i've got another apt./duplex - move in on the 1st. i'm keeping the windows...
  6. yarrow

yeah, i know it sounds wierd. but it is somehow related to the heat registers. since i've kept them off, no more problems with the cat or me. another tenant in the building is moving out because... her cat keeps puking and has stopped eating and the vet can't figure it out (after lots of...
  7. yarrow

thanks for the input thanks guys for your input - i'm keeping the baseboard heat off and providing ventilation thruout the day (can't leave windows open for extended periods due to pollution/pollen issues). no more chest pain since shutting it off. i've shut the baseboard flaps so the cat...
  8. yarrow

these are way old (50's?) copper tube and flange hot water baseboard units in an apartment that i just moved into. the longer i run the units, the higher the setting, the stronger the smell, kind of a chemical sweet smell. i've totally soaked/cleaned them with non-toxic cleaner, so that...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks