Recent content by Yar02169

1. Yar02169

Check valve substitute

OK, update time. Found the time to rebuild. I got a Simmons check valve, made multiple trips to the local Home Depot, and a few to Lowes for pvc pieces. HD is basically next door, but Lowes has a much better selection of pvc, I hate that. Anyway, the check valve is now vertical, no loops...
  2. Yar02169

Check valve substitute

Thanks, no flap. Would that also apply for a swing valve? I assume it's just a different term for a similar action, maybe with a metal "flapper" and better internal materials.
  3. Yar02169

Check valve substitute

It's a Apollo 1.5" SS ball cone valve. I
  4. Yar02169

Check valve substitute

Life pushed this aside for a little bit, but now I'm back at it. I took things apart, and pushed in the valve of the check valve, and it stuck open! A tap with a rod, and it easily enough closed. The operation resumed, so I figured I was all good. Went to the sink and filled the 'upstream'...
  5. Yar02169

Check valve substitute

If memory serves me correctly, the name Appolo comes to mind for the brand.
  6. Yar02169

Check valve substitute

Many thanks Valveman, I understand what you mean. To be proper, I should have the cv on the well head, and keep the piping below the pump. Would that be accurate? With the limited space, I'll have to get creative. Maybe rotate the pump to the left, pump facing out (have the input about where...
  7. Yar02169

Check valve substitute

Well, I have an update. :-| I relocated the check valve to vertical. Put in a new pressure gauge, which I will replace with a liquid filled one tomorrow. Mixed things up down below, assembled the new set-up and ran it for an hour, hopefully pumping out some silt and creating a clean spot down...
  8. Yar02169

Check valve substitute

My well is about 25 feet deep, and the water table is about 7' down, so I see no issue with the vacuum creating any vapor. The water supply is great, it's never come close to running dry. I've already done some development stirring yesterday, and will do it again before I assemble the new...
  9. Yar02169

Check valve substitute

Looking at the solenoid diagram, it identifies the Valve Inlet/Outlet. I do see a couple flow arrows, but couldn't it be installed so that the diaphragm would mimic a check valve? The vacuum would pull the diaphragm tighter into the seal. I found no leaks using the shaving cream method, but it...
  10. Yar02169

Check valve substitute

I like the idea of moving the check valve to vertical, it should function either way, but I get the logic. Since I'll be doing some mods, I'll make a provision for a potential "head stack". Would a solenoid valve be even better than the cv, or do you think the cv would act faster in closing?
  11. Yar02169

Check valve substitute

[ My defense regarding a pre-pump leak. In the spring I did have a leak, I could hear air come through the heads. Covering joints with shaving cream, I could hear a slight change in the pump sound in a leak area. After 15-20 minutes, I could see the 'suction funnel' in the cream to the leak...
  12. Yar02169

Check valve substitute

Thanks for the input, I may have to install a new Zone 1. Before I do, how about this: the head pressure I have now is minimal, omit the "n" and I have about a foot of head, so maybe 2.5 psi. If I removed the hose spigot and attached a 2" vertical pvc pipe (filled with water) id have about...
  13. Yar02169

Check valve substitute

Hi guys with all the answers! You have helped me in the past, and I'm going to pick your brains once again. Long story on my well is that I have an issue with silt. I've given up on trying to develop and be rid of it, and now I just deal with it. [irrigation only]. I have a 10"x4" whole...
  14. Yar02169

Looking for ideas, air in system

With shaving cream covering the leak, it went from 22psi to 44psi! It never ran that high, thank you so much! Here's a pic of the leak(s), and if it works, a link to a video on repairing a joint leak...
  15. Yar02169

Looking for ideas, air in system

Thanks Reach4, that's a great idea. Now, when I find a leak, do I just slather the area with PVC cement, some other glue, or is it a cut and replace type of thing?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks