Recent content by WildWildMidwest

1. WildWildMidwest

Question about using PVC pipe

I plumbed our Navien 210A in 3/4" copper pipe this summer and it works beautifully! I skipped the flexible stainless hoses and plumbed directly to the tankless shutoff valves in 100% soldered copper. I spent many hours with the blowtorch, so the installation is solid! I hired a master plumber...
  2. WildWildMidwest

After considering the information here I decided to stick with 100% soldered copper pipe and fittings. While it's a little more work and money, I know soldered copper is the most reliable long-term solution. I purchased copper parts this afternoon. Thanks to all for providing sound...
  3. WildWildMidwest

I just spoke with my plumbing inspector. He agreed that CPVC is within code and it's no problem for cold water connections. I'm not sure what the temperature limits are. PVC is NOT within Wisconsin code for domestic water systems. Thanks to all for your help.
  4. WildWildMidwest

FloridaOrange, Navien water heaters are direct vented condensing units. They don't get nearly as hot as noncondensing heaters. According to Navien's Installation Manual:
  5. WildWildMidwest

Gary, point taken. It is about streamlining installation and trying to learn something in the process. I asked my local building supply store's plumbing section staff. They didn't think there was any problem intermingling PVC or CPVC with copper for domestic water pipes. The Watts filter...
  6. WildWildMidwest

@ jadnashua, I will use flexible stainless steel hoses for the last 24" to make future WH removal & servicing easier, so no plastic will be within 18" of the tankless unit. I'll go the extra mile and secure 5/16" cement board to the wall behind the tankless heater as an added fire barrier...
  7. WildWildMidwest

Thanks for all the feedback. I left a message for our town's plumbing inspector to call me back. He'll be doing our inspection when the heater is installed. I agree it's far better to get pre-approval before starting the work.
  8. WildWildMidwest

I am preparing to install our Navien 210A tankless water heater soon. I will do the water pipe and electrical work myself, then hire a licensed plumber to complete the gas installation. My question relates to use of PVC pressure pipe. Our current domestic pipes are 3/4" soldered copper...
  9. WildWildMidwest

Cycle stop valve questions

P.S., I haven't witnessed the pump cycling between 40-50 PSI again. Maybe that was due to a sticky spring in our pressure switch that needed time to accommodate to new settings. Who cares? -- now it's working perfectly.
  10. WildWildMidwest

Valveman, I love our cycle stop valve! I added 1000 gallons to our in-ground pool today. Our CSV made that happen in a single continuous (and now totally silent) pump cycle. Our water pressure is perfect for showers and everything else. With a little more adjustment I succeeded in getting...
  11. WildWildMidwest

Best way to pump water from Lake?

I share the sentiment. However I also believe we are a nation of laws (i.e. a republic) -- until such time as the laws cease to exist. One can certainly question whether the laws are fair and reasonable, or whether they are enforced equally. There's lots of doubt about the equitable...
  12. WildWildMidwest

Best way to pump water from Lake?

I am surprised this thread has grown so long without anybody raising the obvious question: Is it legal? Please consider your state and local ordinances and federal laws before dipping pipes into public waterways. Otherwise, you may be facing fines that exceed your plumbing costs. Federal...
  13. WildWildMidwest

Leaving submersible sump pump submerged 99% of the time ok?

A sump pump running every 3-6 minutes doesn't sound too bad to me. Our Wayne 1/2 HP sump pump used to run every 25-40 seconds for most of the springtime until last year. We were going through 36 month warranty pumps every 12 months. That's when I got out a shovel and spent many hours digging...
  14. WildWildMidwest

Thanks for the tips. I cannot easily plumb soft hose into our main water pipe because it's buried several feet underground. Perhaps a flexible pressure hose plumbed into the 3/4 inch pipe 3 feet above the CSV may help. I may be chasing after phantoms, though. We'll undoubtedly survive the...
  15. WildWildMidwest

Thank you, Valveman, for all the help. I think we'll keep our pressure switch for now. If the Navien tankless heater has problems at 40 PSI I'll deal with that situation later. Here is a photo of our installation. Sorry if it appears too contrasty -- I had to raise the brightness in...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks