Recent content by waltsyd

1. waltsyd

How to make the test ball seal better

solved Forgot I hadn't posted that the problem was solved. There was a very slow leak at another joint (the only one that touched a bit of dirt hence it took awhile to find it). Job approved and done. Thanks to those who responded!
  2. waltsyd

How to make the test ball seal better

The new 4" test ball is letting water past, very slowly but enough to invalidate the hydrostatic test. I can see every joint but not the test ball (it's in a sealed wye) so I know it's the test ball. I've drained and repositioned plug three times. It's a little better but still leaks slowly. So...
  3. waltsyd

Overflow gasket wrong taper for old tub

I tried it with a flat washer and it works! Doh! The overflow fitting is already at a little bit of a taper, just the right amount.
  4. waltsyd

Overflow gasket wrong taper for old tub

The old clawfoot I'm installing needs an 8 degree tapered gasket for the overflow to be vertical. All I have found so far are 11 degree gaskets. I've only seen the harder rubber ones; would the sponge rubber one deform enough for me to go vertical the extra three degrees? Any ideas where I can...
  5. waltsyd

Cleanout under lavatory, how to?

So what do you do to put a cleanout in there since your area doesn't allow the trap as a cleanout? Above the p-trap, below (sounds odd to me), to the side, what? It's a vanity, not a pedestal.
  6. waltsyd

It will be a standard 18 inch sink in an 18 inch vanity with doors. I like the idea of being able to put water into the drain while rodding by having a separate cleanout t, but if it's allowed, I think I'll just use the trap san t as the cleanout. Anyone had an inspector dislike that?
  7. waltsyd

I've never seen a cleanout under a lavatory sink but now I have to put one in on a bathroom addition. It's a 2" waste and vent (needed to boost total area of VTR) that has a big change of direction before tying into the main drain. So I gather the cleanout t sits just above the trap san t...
  8. waltsyd

waste wye flat or rotated?

If given either option, would it be better for a 3" closet waste wye coming into the main 4" waste line to be flat or rotated up some amount? I know that vents must be rotated up, but waste wyes? It seems like waste flow would be better if it was rotated up, but then again, perhaps the water...
  9. waltsyd

dvw diagram bathroom addition

Thanks HJ. I used the 1.5" because there's an old vent in the crawlspace that probably hasn't been connected since this 110 year old house was plumbed! I capped it, but the UPC allows for the 1.5" so I can use it, but if you think the 2" is so much better, I'll consider a wye into the tub drain...
  10. waltsyd

dvw diagram bathroom addition

I'll be tying into an existing 4" drain through the cleanout. This is in rural area with septic system with a pulled permit. The new bathroom will be roughly 8' by 8'. Some questions I have: 1. Is it okay to tie in to an existing cleanout? It's a straight 30 foot run directly to the septic...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks