Recent content by Walkman

1. Walkman

[Solved] T&P valve leaking from thermal expansion

We leave the WH on. We have a recirculation pump, but it didn't make any difference when I unplugged it and closed the valve to the return line. I'll try a bigger expansion tank if extra PSI doesn't make a difference.
  2. Walkman

Increasing the pressure in the tank would help it absorb more thermal expansion?
  3. Walkman

New 50 gal AO Smith gas WH which is leaking small amounts of water out of the T&P valve. - I'm getting normal pressure reading of 50 lbs, with a max pressure reading 160 lbs. - I installed a new 2 gallon Everbuilt expansion tank which has 45 lbs of pressure. Would a larger expansion tank or...
  4. Walkman

Kitchen Sink Rough-In dimensions?

I need to rough in plumbing for a kitchen sink as part of a remodel. I plan to install the plumbing in the wall. Cabinet and fixtures are not chosen yet, but will be a double sink (equal size with disposal on the left). DW to the left of the sink. Under counter water filter w/dispenser. Is...
  5. Walkman

Sewer gas after bathroom remodel - replace cast iron??

That's good news. I thought the joint might have been weakened with age and vibration during the rehab. The smell is coming from the toilet area as the smell stopped in the bathroom when I caulked around the toilet (made it stronger in the basement). The sink and shower traps are okay and the...
  6. Walkman

Sewer gas after bathroom remodel - replace cast iron??

Update: Thanks for responses below getting me off the idea of cast iron leaks -- turns out the wax ring wasn't big enough because it's on an oval shape offset flange. I didn't realize it when I followed the toilet instructions to mount their wax ring to the toilet. I'm trying a sani-seal now...
  7. Walkman

Best way to remove PEX stainless steel cinch style crimp ring?

I can't find anything about Lyncar via google.
  8. Walkman

Best way to remove PEX stainless steel cinch style crimp ring?

It looks like the removal tool that sharkbyte and others make is not made for cutting stainless. I've been using a dremel and then scoring the pex with a boxcutter until I can get the fitting off without damage, but it seems like there should be a better way.
  9. Walkman

PVC p-trap leaking?

I was referring to the tailpiece as the PVC part that goes into the drain pipe in the wall. I did as Terry suggested and the leak stopped.
  10. Walkman

PVC p-trap leaking?

I'm getting a slight leak where the tailpiece joins the j-bend. The diagram on the packaging doesn't show a washer in this location - it's just plastic on plastic. Do I need to tighten more, or use some kind of sealant?
  11. Walkman

How do I attach trap to this?

Should I apply heat to the copper and get the chrome and solder out (or cut it flush so I could use a 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" couple to attach the trap tailpiece to the copper?
  12. Walkman

How do I attach trap to this?

This is a 1 1/2" copper pipe that has a 1 1/4" chrome pipe soldered into it. The chrome piece has seen better days but is still serviceable. I'm going to install a PVC trap since it's inside a vanity but the tailpiece doesn't attach to this 1 1/4" piece of chrome. Should I get a coupling, or...
  13. Walkman

How should I update this supply/drain to bathroom sink?

1) Thanks to the feedback, I replaced the copper with pex, eliminating the sharkbites. I bought brass pex/threaded pipe fittings designed to be attached to blocking. Replaced the galvanized nipples with brass. ?? Brass doesn't have the eventual corrosion problems as galvanized, right? Why was...
  14. Walkman

The copper is about two feet. Here are pictures of the fittings and the pex supply to the copper from the basement. - Would I have to cut or resolder the 2" copper drain pipe to get it to downslope from the trap? There should only be standing water in the trap, right?
  15. Walkman

I have a 60's ranch that had a mix of cast iron, copper and galvanized piping. Some of the galvanized has clogged or rusted through so when something starts leaking I've been working to get rid of the galvanized. I used to sweat copper, but have recently switched to using PEX. I want to fix...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks