Recent content by vivona

1. vivona

Any experience with Geyser STOP or Geyser Miser?

I requested and received a Geyser Miser from the company for evaluation. I tested it in the same configuration as the Geyser STOP, i. e. in a shrubbery riser with an extension above it. Unlike the Geyser STOP which can be installed either direction, the Geyser Miser is unidirectional. It is easy...
  2. vivona

Since I had not received any responses, I went ahead and ordered a Geyser STOP and tested it. I installed it on a shrubbery riser about 3 inches above ground, with another 18 inches of riser above it. It does immediately cut off the water flow if you simulate a cut riser by removing the spray...
  3. vivona

If you have not tried one of the geyser prevention projects, here are links to their websites so you can check them out. I would appreciate any pros and cons you may think of. http://www.geisermiser.com/demo.php http://nogeysers.com/
  4. vivona

I realized that if a shrubbery nozzle gets accidentally cut off by a hedge trimmer and goes undetected, when the sprinklers run the resulting geyser would hit the eave of my house, causing a lot of water damage. I looked for some kind of valve that would cut off the water to a sprinkler should...
  5. vivona

Is there a way to identify which pipe is which in a group of pipes?

Okay, here is what I did. First, one of the zones had shrubbery risers which are directly piped (no flex pipe) so I had my wife tap the nozzle while I felt the pipes. Though it was subtle, I could feel the tapping a bit more in one pipe than the other. I wanted to verify the test, so I tried...
  6. vivona

Existing PVC pipe a bit oval, too tight for new fitting... what to do?

Gary, thanks for the reply. It is interesting that you do not dry fit first. Perhaps by "dry fit" you thought I was attempting to fully seat the pipe in the socket to check the fit it will have after assembly. I know you can't do that because it is a tapered interference fit. I have always...
  7. vivona

Existing PVC pipe a bit oval, too tight for new fitting... what to do?

I am making changes to the piping layout of my existing irrigation system. I have come across some existing pieces of 1/2" CL-200 pipe that is not dry fitting into new fittings due to the OD being too large, particularly in one diameter direction. I have tried solvent gluing a fitting on one of...
  8. vivona

Is there a way to identify which pipe is which in a group of pipes?

I need to connect a new pipe to an existing buried PVC pipe of a particular zone in my irrigation system. At the point where I need to connect, the pipes for two zones make 90 degree turns, so I can dig back a bit for flex, cut off the elbow and replace it with a tee to connect the new pipe...
  9. vivona

What's Better - One long session, or multiple shorter sessions?

I guess one downside is that the pop-up heads go through three times as many cycles so they may wear out sooner.
  10. vivona

What's Better - One long session, or multiple shorter sessions?

I saw a video that claims for sandy soil (mine is 85% sand) it is better to run through the irrigation program three times, each time putting down 1/3 of the intended total time for each zone. For instance, if you had 6 zones and each required 30 minutes, you set the zones for 10 minutes each...
  11. vivona

What gives? Rain Bird VAN Nozzles Do Not Fully Seat Into 1800 Series Sprayhead.

My guess is that because the nozzle is adjustable, Rain Bird wanted the flange easier to grip so you could pull the stem up and adjust it with the water off if you need to set it to a pattern that would get you wet if the water was on. Anyway, I did modify one of my 1800 sprayheads to lower...
  12. vivona

Doesn't the design of the VAN nozzle allow dirt to get into the spray slot? It also seems the flange is more susceptible to being crushed by a lawnmower wheel. Has anyone found a solution? It looks like leaving out the filter screen helps lower the nozzle a bit, but increases the possibility of...
  13. vivona

I have changed out some regular Rain Bird nozzles on 1800 series sprayheads with VAN adjustable nozzles. The VAN nozzles do not fully seat into the top of the sprayhead when the water is off. They sit about 1/8" higher than the sealing surface on the top of the sprayhead. I compared the VAN...
  14. vivona

Two Questions About PVC Pipe

I used clear primer, not purple. I thought the only difference with purple primer was the coloring to allow you to see where you had primed, or to prove that you had primed for areas that have a plumbing code that requires priming. I chose to buy clear primer because in working with existing PVC...
  15. vivona

Two Questions About PVC Pipe

Thanks hj for your reply. You can see the discoloration in the photo below. It appears that the soil has stained the PVC. The original fittings, as well as the new fittings and pipe, are pure white, whereas the existing pipe is stained gray. Any fitting in the photo that doesn't have blue...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks