Recent content by turkeyvulture

1. turkeyvulture

Basic Check Valve Question

I think this is an easy one. Does the typical residential submersible pump have a check valve built into it? I have heard that this is so, but then I always see another one just before the pressure tank, so why is that one necessary if there's one in the pump? Thanks for the Wells 101 advice!
  2. turkeyvulture

Dole Valve vs. Gate Valve

I am dealing with a low-yield well and storage tank situation. Dole valves keep coming up in the discussion. Can anyone say why a Dole valve is better than a gate valve? Seems like with a gate valve, you can adjust it to just below the well's yield. With the Dole valve, you have to know what...
  3. turkeyvulture

Hansgrohe Solaris E Shower Valve

Here's my nice new Hansgrohe shower valve. Notice the ugly gap between the back of the handle and the escutcheon. Anyone deal with this problem? I'm trading e-mails with Hansgrohe but it's uphill even to get them to understand that this is a design problem, not an installation problem. The...
  4. turkeyvulture

Plug Bathtub For Pressure Test

Cacherchick, I thought tubs and shower pans were considered rough plumbing, since they go in before sheetrock.
  5. turkeyvulture

Plug Bathtub For Pressure Test

For a DVW pressure test, how do you plug the tub? It's not practical to plug the drain and overflow, with those little cross bars in there, and I can't turn the trap to plug it caue it's connected to the overflow and the drain. Pros, what's the trick? Got an inspection in two days.
  6. turkeyvulture

Adding Garbage Disposal to Old Stainless Steel Sink/Drainboard

The inner drain, with the flange showing in the sink, was stainless. The outer cup underneath was galvanized.
  7. turkeyvulture

Unlacquered brass

Consumer Reports? They might tell you which brass faucet is safest when crashing into an SUV, is all.
  8. turkeyvulture

Success! I sawzalled through the cup and drain outlet, then pealed the residual cup metal off. I don't think it would have come off otherwise. The two parts were all corroded together, maybe from years of slight leakage past the flange in the sink.
  9. turkeyvulture

Yes...I think so...that black gasket would go below the sink of course. That's the one I'm heat gunning and digging at with a screwdriver. It's so petrified that when I dig in I'm bending the lip of the bottom spacer/reinforcer. More heat and more prying I guess. I'll take some pix this...
  10. turkeyvulture

Thanks Redwood. I'll try that. What's that cup for anyway? It appears to be attached only to the sink, not the drain outlet. Maybe just something for the spud nut to cinch against?
  11. turkeyvulture

I have a 50+ year old stainless drainboard with integral stainless double sinks. It has never had a garbage disposal but I want to add one. I must remove the old drain ring from the left-hand sink to put in the one provided with the disposal unit. This drain ring is the usual cup-shaped thing...
  12. turkeyvulture

shower drain question

Brass Drain There's a brass drain that takes up less space than the black ABS one, so you won't have to chip out so much concrete. I found that out when my shower pan drain ended up next to an I-joist. I minimized how much of the joist flange I had to remove my using the brass drain. Home...
  13. turkeyvulture

New Exterior Wall - No existing anchor bolts

Cheaper Alternative Simpson makes bolts you just screw in a drilled hole. They are called "Titen" bolts. There's the epoxy ones, but have you seen the price of the epoxy? :O
  14. turkeyvulture

Lift station?

Leach Field [. If you have either a sewage ejector pump or a macerating toilet, the septic tank and leachfield must be increased in size by 50%. ] Good thing leach fields are already overdesigned by about 100%.
  15. turkeyvulture

Stain Resistant Shower Pans

Shower Pans I'm planning on putting in a Kohler cast iron shower pan, because the shower gets used all the time and any plastic type pan eventually gets beat up.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks