Recent content by tomcat22

1. tomcat22

spa pump wet end replacement

Forgive me if this is off topic. My spa pump is leaking from the shaft. From what I've been able to read, it looks pretty straight forward to replace the wet end. At 1/4 the cost of a motor/pump combo, I'd like to try replacing just the wet end. Is it as easy as it looks? Any advice? Thanks.
  2. tomcat22

Solvent weld tub drains

I'm remodeling and installing a new tub in a new location. I'm planning on using all PVC drain for the tub gluing up all connections and would like some advice on installation sequence. I don't have access from below, but I can cut out the ceiling below if need be. I'm also in a tight space...
  3. tomcat22

Trap arm slope

I just read in the pipe dope thread that the lav trap arm should have a slight slope towards the trap. How critical is that? I just installed my double sink drains and I had the trap arms slope away from the trap. Note that in a different double vanity installed by the builder 18 years ago...
  4. tomcat22

To vent or not to vent?

Attached (hopefully) is a rough top view of my DWV layout. I had planned to vent the toilet for good measure, but just wondering if I can forgo the effort. Thanks for any and all advice.
  5. tomcat22

Maximum "void" under cement under layment

Thanks for the responses. The hole is in a traffic area. I hadn't thought about sheet metal. Great idea.
  6. tomcat22

Maximum "void" under cement under layment

Hello all. I'm deep in my bathroom remodel and am wondering how big a hole in the subfloor would be acceptable without compromising the tile floor. Specifically, I removed a 2 inch PVC drain and am left with a 2.5 inch hole in the 3/4 inch plywood subfloor. I plan on using 1 ft square tiles...
  7. tomcat22

Plumbing vent flashing

Not really a remodeling question but thought it fit best here (I am remodeling, though :-) While in my attic, I notice sunlight streaming in by my vent. I then noticed water damage on some boxes stored under the vent. The flashing appears to be rubber (it's black) and ripped. The roof is a...
  8. tomcat22

Kohler Bathtub, clogs every two months

Saw this just in time. I was planning on using a Kohler drain (K-7214) with a cable for the pop-up drain. This was so I could aim it off center (to miss a joist) and match up to the overflow (using some 45's on the vertical section) as suggested by Terry. So should I rethink this and use a...
  9. tomcat22

Help finding 5.5' x 32" tub with offset drain

You're right about three walls to the alcove! I meant from the long side of the alcove in order to avoid a joist running parellel to the long dimension of the tub.
  10. tomcat22

Help finding 5.5' x 32" tub with offset drain

I ran across a Kohler tub (Dynametric) (http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/105007_4.pdf) that is exactly what I'm looking for except it's cast iron. Would prefer acrylic. Does anybody know any other similar tubs with the offset drain? I'm looking for a 5.5' by 32" wide tub with the...
  11. tomcat22

toilet plumbing from above

I'm starting a bath remodel. Second floor hall bath. The location where I want to place the toilet is such that it will be extremely difficult to do the plumbing from below. Is it common to pull up the subfloor to do the plumbing? I'm concerned about positioning of the toilet waste drain...
  12. tomcat22

Tub drain clearance requirements

I'm remodeling an up stairs bath. The proposed new location of the tub puts the drain right over a joist. What's the "accepted" minimum offset I should plan on to get the drain in and all hooked up? If I locate the tub drain center 1 inch over from the edge of the joist, would I have any...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks