Recent content by Tireshark

1. Tireshark

Can I use sharkbites to replace a shower valve?

Hard to say, and I'm slow in general. I'd say I spent 2.5 hours researching and watching videos (the instructions in the box were basically worthless for a newbie, although the downloadable app walkthrough was helpful), and 1.5 hours running around town getting parts I needed/forgot. Hands on...
  2. Tireshark

Well, I got it finished.. Still have to mount it to some blocking, but I had zero leaks when I tested everything. I'll attach a parts list if anyone is curious. In total, it cost $310 to convert from 3 handle to 1. I'm really curious what a quote from a plumber would have been, to compare...
  3. Tireshark

Ah, yeah I used rough sandpaper on it... I'll get some fine paper to use on it, and will monitor the others. I'm going to leave an access panel in place, so it will be easy to check. My mark was a little long on that CPVC, so it should be ok. I'll keep your idea in mind on the hole, and may...
  4. Tireshark

Here's where I'm at with it. Tub line is going to be cpvc into a drop ear 90, and then a 5" brass nipple into the tub. Let me know if anyone sees anything amiss. I'm going to screw in a 2x4 after I make the connections, and attach the valve to it. The remodel plate overlaps the existing tub...
  5. Tireshark

Thanks JohnCT. I'll have to save the soldering for another day, as I've never done it before. I need to stop putting off learning the basics though, because these sharkbites add a lot of cost to these projects. I got threaded brass nipples to use for the spout. Using a brass coupler at the...
  6. Tireshark

Is my plan ok to replace kitchen sink drain line?

When they built the house, they dropped the drain right in the middle of a floor joist. They cut out a notch in the joist, but didn't leave enough room, and the copper has developed a leak presumably from decades of rubbing against the wood. It's on the end of the drain line, so I figure...
  7. Tireshark

Want to re-route washer/sink drain... question about vent.

Here's a more concise diagram of what I want to do. Sorry if I'm bumping too much... this will be the last time, for this updated diagram.
  8. Tireshark

Any ideas on this? I edited the first post so it's not as confusing.
  9. Tireshark

Hey Reach, thanks for the info. Yeah my diagram may have been too complicated. Here's a simplified version of what I want to do. Everything is vertical except for the 2 drain pipes, and the line I want to cut. Also there is a vent at washer/sink 1 that i forgot about.
  10. Tireshark

I might have made the description more complicated than it needs to be. I guess the question is can I connect the new drain system to the existing vent? If so, where should I locate the vent on that drain system.
  11. Tireshark

I have two separate 4" drain pipes that my fixtures connect to, and I want to move 2 fixtures to the other pipe. Here is a diagram of the situation. Everything is in the crawlspace, and everything is vertical except for the 2 drain pipes, and the line I want to move. Will this work? If so...
  12. Tireshark

Water Heater overheating in combustion chamber?

Pilot wouldn't light, had to get new Valve/pilot assembly, and TRD (Thermal Release Device) from manufacturer (thankfully all under warranty). Got it all back together, and WH works. So... now I'm thinking about why the TRD failed. Apparently this thing fails when the temp gets too high in the...
  13. Tireshark

Are the holes on a water heater where the gas valve screws in universal?

Thanks. I got it out, I pulled back on it pretty hard while unscrewing, and it finally caught and backed out.
  14. Tireshark

Are the holes on a water heater where the gas valve screws in universal?

Thx Terry. Yeah it's a torx, but it just spins and wont back out. Going to try to get some leverage on it tomorrow and unscrew while prying. If that doesn't work, will have to go to the power tools I guess.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks